Which way do you grip your gun????

sgoeing

Do you put the pointer finger on your support hand in front of the trigger guard or under the trigger guard? I know many people use each method but which one is taught by the well known schools such as Gunsite. I have also seen some people have their pointer finger and middle finger under the guard.
What are the pros/cons of each method?
Thanks
Michael Goeing

Whichever way is the most comfortable. On some handguns, my four-inch barrel Ruger GP-100 is an example, the reach to the front of the trigger guard is awkwardly long; therefore I place my finger under the guard. On others, however, my Glock 23 is an example, I can easily reach the front of the trigger guard. In sum, if I can easily place my support-hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard, I do so.

Just one opinion, not necessarily the correct one.

I can reach the front of my G17 and USP .45...but that doens't mean I should. I've tried placing the support pointer finger in front of the trigger guard. It gave me support but I found that I would losen my that portion of my grip from the first to the last shot in a string, which obviously hurt my accuracy. FOR ME, the key has been to develop a grip that FEELS comfortable, can easily access CONSISTANTLY, and one that provides the support needed for a variety of shooting circumstances.

The consistancy of the grip is important especially when drawing from a holster for IDPA or steel plate competetions. The more consistant my grip out of the holster the more consistant and fast my shooting can be (please note that I used the word consistant first, who cares how fast if you're not hitting where ya' want!)

A guy I run into at the local range had a great piece of advice for me (as a relatively new shooter, i.e. one who has only been at a couple of years, I try to pay attention to sage advice), try a lot of different things...grip techinques, trigger finger positions, etc...until you start to see those tight groups that we all love so much...have fun, shoot straight!:)

I've found that putting my index finger on the front of the trigger guard causes me to pull shots to the left. Of course, I've had no professional instruction concerning firearms so that could also be my problem =)

View

http://glocktalk.com/docs/gtubb/Forum13/HTML/017596.html

I learned to shoot by using holding the weapon in the traditional method, high in the web of the hand, with the trigger finger running alongside the frame until ready to fire. The support hand wrapped around the firing hand loosely..and I cannot stress this enough, the thumb safely out of the way. I know some freinds that shot revolvers a lot and when they shot my auto they used a grip with the non firing hand thumb wrapped around the weapon with the thumb in the way of..yep..ya guess it..the slide. First shot and they are usually cured!

I do not like to shoot utilizing the front of the trigger guard for support. It is much easier to transition to one handed firing accurately when you do not normally utilize the non firing hand for support. You may be in a position when you have to open doors, hold a flashlight, pick up an object, or any number of things with the non firing hand.

Good SHooting
Red

I still try to find the best grip with my Ruger P 90. Up to now, the classical 1-hand target grip works best for me. All two-hand grips I used were less accurate. It takes a longer time to get back on the bullseye, but if you hit what you want...

Right hand on grip of pistol. Left hand on right hand. Pull back slightly with the left while pushing forward slightly with the right. Very, very stable for me.

I went to the range today and tried the grip Brian Enps describes in hos book. I find it pretty hard to use, but I must not be undestanding it, or my hands are too fat, or something.

The way he described it, the heels of both hands should meet more or less behind the grip- the heel of the left hand should be touchng the back of the grip, not just the side of the grip. When I do that, it's very hard to get enough of the heel of my right hand on the grip to feel like I have control.

I must be doing something wrong.

FWIW, although everyone is different, GENERALLY, most would recommend that you do NOT put the support hand fingers on the trigger guard, since, as stated above it tends to cause the shots to be pulled, as a result of a sympathetic response of the support hand. I have seen exceptions to this.

I also think that its important not to put too much pressure on the finger tips of the support hand. I believe that this causes your shots to go left (assuming you shoot right handed). I have been putting no pressure on the finger tips and holding the gun like I am holding a small bird in my hands (I read that somewhere).

Back