Which type of air rifle is QUIETEST?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futo Inu

I'm still looking for the ultimate rifle which which to peg starlings, grackles, crows, and various other yard nuisances, with the least possible level of neighbor disturbance. Currently am using an RWS .177 break-action spring piston, but I want something heavier to cut through the OK wind, yet I do not want increased noise with more power (I was looking at the Beeman "Crow Magnum" .22 - that thing is a hoss, and I'm worried about excessive report). So my questions, for those who may know, are:

1. Are these new pre-charged pneumatic rifles now available (which look to be adequately powerful and accurate) QUIETER than the spring piston kind? (you know, the ones you fill up with a type of air compressor, then gets "x" number of shots from the stored air - not the pump guns). And would an Aquila primer-only .22lr realistically be even quieter than either type, or not?

2. Which do you recommend in a stouter air gun, .20, .22, or .25? I'm leaning toward .22, because of ammo availability.

Most of the noise in a spring gun is due to the motion of the spring and piston. The expanding air in a high powered 12 ft-lb or greater can generate quite a bit of noise. If you can use a silencer go with the pre-charge. Otherwise the spring gun seems to be quiter though I have not measured the difference.

I would stick with .177 for more velocity if wind is a serious concern. The .177 will also penetrate deeper.

Will

The spring piston is the quietest airgun available. The pneumatics will give you more noise.

The RWS/Diana side cocking spring guns models 48, 52, and 54 are over 1000 fps in .177 caliber. They are also available in other calibers at lesser velocities. Of course, these velocities are with light pellets.

My preference is for .177 caliber.

A tuned spring piston gun is the quietest twang/pufft noise in airguns. I prefer .22 pellets for hunting.

Pneumatic and precharged guns are loud in airgun terms.

A .22 rifle with at least a 22" barrel firing .22RF CB is about as loud as a powerful spring piston but with much more energy...

Shooting low velocity .22's from a bolt action .22 rifle is pretty quiet and much more powerful than a .177 air rifle. You might try some of the Aguila primer only rounds or some .22 CB caps. Let us know what you think.

I agree about the aguila rounds and CB caps being quiet, although they are not as accurate as a fine air rifle in my experience.

Also, they may run you afoul with the law- if that is a concern in your area.

I agree with MountainGun44 about possible problems using 22 CB caps. Many of us can not be caught shooting within city limits. If I were going to shoot anything in my yard, an air rifle would be the only option...

I have one of the RWS 45's in 177 and I think it is louder than a 22 with CB caps, mainly due to the vibration. If I am not mistaken I believe that RWS and some of the other makers also have spring piston guns with opposing pistons that counteract each other and make the gun almost silent when shot. They do make one, just got out the RWS catalog and it is listed as the model 54 in 177 and 22 cal.

I believe air gunners called them "air-piston", "air-ram", or "pneumatic-piston". It's pretty much state-of-the-art in the air gun world. Basically they're like a spring-piston air rifle but without the spring. They're a single cock design (not a pump-up gun like a Daisy or Crossman), very high velocity 900 to 1000 fps in .177 cal. They still make noise but they're about half as loud as a spring-piston. The other advantage is they can remain cocked. Spring guns can't (or shouldn't) because the spring will take a set if left cocked for any lenght of time. BSA, RWS, and Beeman make air-pistons. Cost start around $400. I believe it's also possible to convert your current RWS to air-piston for much less money. Check out the chat room on Straight Shooters. -- Kernel

Quiet air guns

Google quietest air rifles . You will get a lot of sights that explain the new guns as well as explaining operation and power of them. Some of the new springers develop 1100 to 1300psi. I've been looking for the same thing due to neighbors:( Gammo Big Cat and Remington Tyrant are a couple tat are interesting! Good Luck

air

There is a company that makes sound moderators for airguns.
I have one on a Benjamin Discovery; it works. I have no equipment to measure sound intensity but my subjective reaction is that there is about a 50% reduction in report.
I suggest a .22 pellet gun if you are going to be popping nuisance birds and varmints. Bigger and heavier pellets - up to 30 grains+ - make a difference.
See this link for moderators:http://www.tko22.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back