Which Titanium 38spl.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Inactive
Which gun is "all-around" better in your opinion? Smith & Wesson Titanium 342 or Taurus Titanium 85.Are they equally easy to conceal? Does one shoot better than the other? Which one would you get? Any info is appreciated!

Thanks,

Bobby

I looked at both and ended up buying the S&W. The Taurus just looked kinda cheap to me and the trigger pull seemed a bit rougher than the Smith. I also always keep resale value in mind when looking at comparable firearms. Taurus revolvers don't have a great history as far as resale price is concerned (which makes them a great value used). I have not shot the Taurus so I cant fully give an accurate reccomendation, but I'm very happy with my 342. Good luck!

RJT - Just make sure you rent and shoot the titanium .38's with a variety of loads such as 110's, 125's, 148 and 158 grain as well as the plus P's before you buy. I rented the 342 (which was my pick of the titanium lightweights) and promptly bought a 442. I decided that (on advice from others who know far more about these things than me) I needed Nyclad 125 grain for a carry load. For me, the 442 was the answer.

If your looking for a great gun to carry all the time, the 342 is hard to beat. Its about as light as you'll find that will still handle +p loads. BUT...you will pay for the light weight. I took mine to the range yesterday and shot one box of round nose ammo, and one box of +p hydra shocks. By the end of the shooting session, I had a nice bloody spot on the knuckle of my right thumb where the gun tends to "bite" me. Dont get me wrong, its a great gun and Im VERY happy to have it as a carry weapon. And it is very accurate with +p hydra shocks. Just not the gun you will run 250 rounds through at one time. That being said, I would still highly recommend this gun as a ccw piece.

I have a taurus ti mode 85 multi-alloy which is a pleasure to shoot. I have also bought the ti 44 special which I will put into action soon.

I believe that w/o porting, these small, light guns are not fun to shoot at all.

Smith & Wesson is a good gun, but is overpriced.

What about the Taurus Police Model 85 Undercover Ultra-Lite Titanium?

5 shot .38 special +p rated
DA concealed hammer
13.7 oz
2" ported barrel
http://www.taurususa.com/undercover.html

Obviously, this thing is made to be concealed/carried.

[This message has been edited by lp (edited November 17, 1999).]

lp,

That is one of the guns in discussion.The "under cover police" and ultralite mdl 85 are the same gun.Thanks for all of the opinions/suggestions,keep 'em coming!

Bobby

lp,

You're right,I think the concealed hammer is the only difference between the two guns.That Undercover Police mdl 85 looks like a nice gun.Does anyone know how much cheaper it is than the Titanium 342?

Bobby

The Sith isn't all titanium it has an aluminum(weak) frame! The cylinder is titanium. The taurus is almost all titanium. The Taurus is much stronger due to this.

protoolman,

Why does the Taurus weigh more than the Smith? Is aluminum lighter than titanium?

Thanks to all for the comments!

Bobby

What's the DA trigger pull on Taurus vs. S&W? Comparable out of the box? How long? More importantly which one can take better to an action job to smooth out the DA and still fire reliably? I've been tempted by Titanium myself. (Good excuse for another gun). Not sure about .38 vs .357 vs. .41 But that's another story. . .

RJT: Yes, aluminum weighs about two-thirds as much as titanium, but it's only one-third as strong.

I had not contributed to this thread, but I'll throw in my two cents: I own a S&W 342 and except for the thumb biting previously mentioned (which I managed to avoid with a different grip) find it an excellent gun to just throw into a coat pocket. It's a little expensive, but it seems very well made and shoots much more accurately than I expected a 2" barrel could.

I have the Taurus ti 44 special, and it is lightwieght and fun to shoot. With corbon loads it has some recoil, but certainly not all that bad. With win ST's the recoil is very mild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back