which suppressor tube (only one) would you buy?

RustyRP

lets imagine that you have the money for the transfer tax ($200) and a new suppressor ($500 - 1000)

you think you probably will only ever get to buy ONE suppressor - once you get this first one your wife will ABSOLUTELY NEVER LET YOU GET ANOTHER ONE

I am waivering between a screw on .22 unit (can be used on multiple guns) or a larger centerfire unit

ONLY the tube is registered - right?

so I can have multiple internal assemblies - right?

what about the old style MAC units w/ two tubes - which one was registered?

any advice is much appreciated as I am not too familiar with this subject

Unfortunately the ATF regulates the internals as well.

The best you can do is get one can that fits multiple guns, like a .223 can that you also use with .22. Your .22 muzzle can that you can move from a pistol to a rifle is also a good idea.

I am not an expert but one brand to consider is GemTech at www.gem-tech.com Dr. Dater is very willing to answer your questions.

TT

Good question!!

I don't have any experience with it firsthand, but I hear great things about Reed Knight's M4 suppressor. A friend purchased one recently, and you can indeed use it on an AR15 or a .22 rifle (or pistol.) Knight suppressors are expensive, but they're pretty close to state of the art.

Hope this helps,
Chris

------------------
"T.V. what do I see, tell me who to believe, what's the use of autonomy when a button does it all..."

Incubus, Idiot Box

I went through the same problem. I couldn't decide wheather to get one for my .308, .223, .45, .9mm. I ended up getting a AWC Optima for my AR (they now have the Optima II)

The reason was simple in my mind. I could use it on my .223 and my wife could use it on hers. I got a .22 conversion kit for the AR and shoot .22LR through it. I also plan on getting the bbl of any .22 rifle I buy (chipmunk for my kid :) ) threaded to accept it. (the Ruger 10/22 I want won't need it cause it will be one of AWC's with the intagrated suppressor ;) )

Very versital ittle tube.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited May 02, 2000).]

hmmm......

I thought the tube was the only registered part - kindof like the receiver of a MG

what I was hoping / thinking was that I could buy a Titanium threaded tube & a 9mm 45 acp internal assembly...... heck if it is a big enuf can why not a 308 assembly as well?

I do notice that all the suppressor guys are staying away from kits... used to be (the 80's) you could buy baffle stacks (or whatever) in firepower magazine

Back