Which style chrony - remote screen or on unit?

tpcollins

I need a new crony since I decided to put an arrow thru my Pro Chrono Pal. I see two different types - the display on the unit and a remote display at the end of a telephone cord.

Are the remote readouts more of a PITA or are they better to use than the readouts on the unit? Thanks.

I am shooting primarily pistol and I can read the readings from where i shoot from. With my own range I see no need for a remote reading. If i was at a public outdoor range it ma be handy when shooting a rifle.

If all you are doing is looking at the velocity number, the fixed ones are fine.
If you want to use the function to scroll through the data strings by shot number, and get hi,low,es,sd, and reset the unit the remote displays are better.

It takes a remote switch for the f1 chrony I have, but you can make one with about $5 in parts. If you don't want to buy one.

I haven't tried the bluetooth ones that interface with a smartphone.

Buy a Digital Pro Chronograph and get the remote. You can read the numbers from the screen on the chrono and be able to get all the fancy data using the remote. I wish I could find my remote. I keep loosing things in the garage and buy another only to find the original.:mad:

WOW how chronographs have progressed. My first used paper screens that had to be shot thru to record then look up numbers to get results.

AZShooter - or buy something at the store, get home, open the drawer and put it right next to the one you already have!

I get along fine with my all-in-one. I don't use public ranges. Have no problem reading the screen when set up to shoot. I'm on my second since I slightly tweeked the first by hitting one of the metal sun shield supports with a 9mm bullet.
Note of interest!!!!
First order of use is replace the wires with bamboo skewers or chopsticks---far less likely to damage the housing than the metal supports if you toss a shot.

My first crony had the screen in one. I shot it. Chrony let me upgrade to remote display so next time I shoot it, its cheaper to replace. Had to be 15 years ago, still using it.

It used to be if you shot your crony, they would replace for 1/2 price of a new one unless with remote display, then it was even less.

David

I have a remote, and IMO the advantage is that you can see when errors occur and it doesn't read- meaning you may need to re-do the shot with that particular load, or that maybe that there's not enough cloud cover and you need to install the sun screens.

Back