Which Stubby to Get

RH Factor

Which Stubby or Snubby to Get

I've decided I'd like to add a "stubby or snubby" to my collection but can't decide on whic one and what caliber. Alot of friends say that a .38 is a basic must, some say a .357. I want it so I can rotate it with my other CC guns. Must definately be small. Some friends say take a look at the .32 mag stubbies, but how much stopping power will I be sacrificing. Then do you get titanium, steel or a combo of both. Oh, BTW, did I mention I don't want to take out a second mortgage to buy it? I have a guardian 32 and a Sig 239 .40.....wanted a wheel gun in the middle...any suggestions?

Last edited:
Most .357's will also take .38 special rounds. I like this option because you can fire the cheaper 38's or the powerful .357's. Rugers , taurus, and S&W all make good revolvers. I'de check into them
Good Luck

Hard to go wrong with a nice older S&W model 36. All steel, 5 shot, 2 or 3" barrels, .38 special.

Whatever you get, practice enough so that you become very proficient with it. Many say that snubbies are inaccurate, they are wrong.........just takes a bit of practice to get good with em.

Or...if a bit larger frame size is ok.....a S&W model 19 2.5", round butt. Again all steel, last forever. .357mag or .38spec. 6 shot. One of the finest guns ever to hit the streets.

Sam.............S&W, RIP

I have really had my eye on the Taurus 617. It holds seven rounds of 357 Magnum. It's available with or without porting, with or without a shaved hammer (most models), and in blued, stainless, total titanium, or ultralight. I was quoted $380 for a new ultralight.

I have an "older" Colt DS, 38special +P rated, 6 shot..
Small, accurate, & works like a champ. Should be able to find one for less than 300.
I don't like the 357 in less than a 4 inch, just don't need a sunburn that bad <L>.

My wife likes the Taurus 85, but it only holds 5 & isn't really meant for a +P diet (per MFG.)

I really like my S&W Chiefs Special Model 60 with a bobbed hammer. .38 spc will do the job . I'd look at the centennials for carry.:D

The Ruger SP101 is the heaviest and toughest of the 5-shot snubbies. If you can deal with the weight, it'll give you low recoil, a good choice if you have physical issues with recoil or want to shoot some fairly hot .357s.

The Colt Detective Special is known for it's sixth shot, and is among the more accurate snubbies. Available in .38spl, and most can handle +P. A .357 variant was designed (the "Magnum Carry") but only a few shipped before Colt ran into the troubles that got them out of the handgun biz.

Both Taurus and S&W offer similar sized 5-shot snubbies. The S&W Scandiums are in my opinion just too light unless you're planning on shooting mild .38; .357s in those are just bone-jarring. In steel, both are fine guns; Taurus offers Titanium which is pricey, but both heavier and tougher than the S&W Scandiums so if you can afford the Taurus TIs, they're not a crazy choice.

Used steel-frame S&W 5-shot .38spls are common, good and fairly cheap. There's lot of variations among various S&Ws...I personally like the "Bodyguard" types with a hammer that can be cocked, but resists snagging.

The 5-shot S&W frame size is what they call the "J-Frame"; I tend to call "close clones" by other vendors such as Taurus "J-class", especially if the cylinder size is so close that it'll eat from the same speedloaders.

Charter Arms is another source of "J-Class" snubbies BUT the newer ones are badly regarded. Some of the older ones were truly exceptional but you have to know the breed to pick one properly - I don't recommend trying unless you have somebody along who knows Charters. I consider my old late-'70s vintage Charter Arms "Undercover" the best five-shot .38 ever made, and I'd never ever part with it.

Other than the Colt Dick Special, all the other six or seven round .38/357 "snubbies" are really mid-sized frame guns such as the S&W "K-Frame" with small grips and a barrel cut to 2.5" or less. These are slightly bulkier than a "true snubbie" but are often a pretty good gun.

I would mostly recommend against .32Magnum. Granted, you can get six rounds in a J-class platform but they're not as effective as .38+P and good defensive fodder in .32Mag is hard to come by. CorBon was considering a load in that caliber that mighthave changed things but that fell through. MagSafe still makes a hot load but opinions on frangibles varies.

One last, oddball choice. Taurus makes their steel J-class frame size in an 8-shot .22Magnum :). There's one particular really hot .22Mag, the "CCI MaxiMag +V TNT" that rivals a lot of the .32Mags in raw performance...especially since the Taurus in that caliber can be had in both 2" and 4" barrel. From the 4" tube, eight of those CCIs would put a significant hurt on somebody with extremely low recoil. If my arthritic granny needed a CCW piece, the Taurus .22Mag in 4" would be something I'd consider for her :).

Jim

Addling a Snubnose

If you are collecting only, I can not help you. If you are buying to SHOOT, CARRY, and PERSONAL PROTECTION, then I can help.

If you run the numbers based on an ammo manufacturer's published figures, subtracting 30 feet per second for each inch off [8 3/8?], soon it is apparent that you loose quite a bit of velocity and muzle energy with a 2 inch barrel. My compromise is never buy to shoot less than a [3] three inch barrel.

I like the Colt snubbies. Six shots vs five. May be an issue you'll have to decide. I carry a Cobra most of the time. Recommend looking around for a Detective Special, Cobra, or Agent. Should be able to pick up a nice used one for $250 to $300. Any of these three will handle .38 Special +P as a carry load. Recommend practice with standard .38's.
Take Care

I would take a long look at a S&W Airweight revolver. In your shoes I would opt for a hammerless model. I have used a Model 37 (with a hammer) for years. It is light enough to carry without you noticing it. I might choose a 357 magnum but I would only fire 38 specials in it. Why? These little beauties kick big time with 38s let alone 357s. Regards, Richard

Back