Which snubbie can be fine tuned best

cmsgt

Am considering buying another revolver for CCW to go along with my Glock 27. The revolver would be worn in a f. pack -- wearing IWB for me is just too uncomfortable -- or a snug holster like the U. Mike's slider.
I also prefer steel over titanium.
I have been considering looking for a Ruger speed six and getting it worked on, new springs, grips, etc; Ruger SP101 (just wish it had 6 rounds), but I have checked out a few in the past months, and the quality doesn't seem as high as when they originally were produced; S&W model 19, 21'2"; Colt D.S. -- overpriced; and the likely candidate: a Taurus 617, 2", with 7 rds, steel version. I swore I would never buy another Taurus!!
Can the Taurus be fine tuned, and whom would you recommend to work on any of the above?
BTW, have to qualify for CCW using double action only.
Merry Xmas,
cmsgt

S&W hands down. Easiest lockwork to work on, and it usually yields the best results for the effort level expended.

The Colt can be worked over to have a pretty wonderful trigger, as well, but it usually takes a LOT more effort.

I can't recommend a smith as I do all of my own work.

I have handled a couple Taurui that had been worked into pretty sweet handlers.

My favorite snub is the 2½" round butt Model 19 Smith. They can be found for well under 300 in very nice condition. I got one not long ago for 250 out the door that looked new. A little caressing and it became deadly accurate and with a smooth trigger.

In my experience the blued steel models seem to stay in tune far longer than their stainless equivalents.

Sam

I'm a 1911 guy but the other day I saw the sweetest snubby. It was a S&W Performance Center 686-4, 357 mag, two and a half inch ported barrel, 7 shot, with wood grips. It had the best trigger pull of any revolver I've ever tried. It will be my next purchase.

I would go with the Model 19 blued round butt 2 1/2" if you can find one. If you don't want .357, try a round butt Model 10 2 or 3 inch. The J frames are nice, but don't allow quite as nice an action as the flat spring guns.

Jim

D.A. only? I like my Speed Six but there is no comparison. Get that 2.5'' S&W 19. By the way any ammo specs as to type used for your qualifier?

I concur on the Model 10. I had a 3" which was schweet.:D Maybe a Model 13 but I haven`t seen one in years. The only reason I`d say no to the 19 is because of the chance of the sights snagging. Target sights are unnecessary for CCW. BTW, I have a Colt D.S. that I paid $97 for 27 years ago.:D

For Scarborough,
Qualification for CCW in this N. Calif county is fairly easy: 15 yards, 16/20 in the coke bottle section of standard silhouette target, for revolvers double action only, any ammo including wadcutters. The dbl action only is to replicate a realistic CCW situation; most qualifiers switched to semi autos this past year.
Am leaning toward the 2 1/2 inch S&W model 19 since I like the .357 round.

I've owned a Speed Six with a 2 3/4" barrel for almost 25 years. It has never been "worked on" and never had the springs replaced. Earlier tonight I was comparing the trigger on this gun to a K frame Smith which I purchased about a month ago. The feel is different but I wouldn't say the Smith is better. If you find a Speed Six I don't think you will be unhappy with it.

Bill

Dot-mdb don't get me wrong. I am a real fan of the security six family. It's just that the odds are that the S&W will have a better trigger pull out of the box. Since our amigo out there in California is going to be shooting for a rare trophy so to speak I just thought he should have every advantage. It is nice to know that ammo won't be a problem as far as recoil is concerned.:)

3" Model 13 or Model 65 HB/RB

2.5" Model 19 or Model 66 RB

2.5" Model 686 or Model 586 RB

If a good model vintage is chosen (some say earlier, but I say Pre-'95 or '96 is fine), not much tuning should be necessary. Most all mine recieve Wolff spring kits and trigger work by a local gunsmith who is a genius with wheelguns. He even did a trigger job on my Performance Center gun (I'm really fussy about DA triggers.) Below is a custom wheelgun he did for my roommate:

pc57.jpg

My choice would be either a Smith 686 2.5". Model 66 2.5" or a Security or Speed Six Ruger, they're all great handguns.

7th

Back