Which small arms for your army?

Prichard

Maybe a little too much discussed already??:

If you could choose the "best" available personal arms for an army (not limited to NATO calibres/cost), what would they be?

Battle rifle/carbine?
Machine pistol?
Sidearm?
Sniper rifle?

Battle rifle-a semi-only version of the M14, no bayonet lug, composite stock, good trigger

Carbine-a semi-auto chambered in .44 AutoMag, 18" barrel and folding stock, 20 rd mag

Subgun-XM177 version of the M16

Sidearm-Browning High Power (or similar design, CZ comes to mind) chambered in .45ACP, single stack (incidentally, once qualified with this weapon, it would be issued to -all- personel with 2 extra mags, and they would be required to wear sidearm {condition 1} and spare mags at all times when in uniform)

Sniper rifle-Steyr SSG PII

There is no need for bayonets-they're a throwback to muzzle-loading days; heck, they're a throwback to the days when infantry's main weapon was the pike. Just issue each soldier a good fixed blade fighter and a good folding fighter.

In case you didn't notice, I have a high regard for Col. Cooper's opinions on weapons....<G>

You can't claim a win in battle unless you've got troops physically occupying & holding ground. Let's give 'em the best tools for the job....

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard
The Shottist's Center forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

This topic has been recently discussed in the "Rifle" Forum, under "Equipping an army".. my contribution can be found in that thread.

Pritchard,

You're right. This discussion has been addressed but perhaps not entirely to the scope of your question.

Please go to the Rifle forum and see the following threads:
"Equiping an Army," 8JUN99 by Pete;
and
"Best Service Rifle," 30JAN99 by 4V50.

I think you'll find a considerable amount of discussion to add to your knowledge base. However, feel free to comment on, continue or debate the information in those posts.

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hey Rob,

Ain't you s'posed to be sittin in front of me packin' face about now??!! An offline is due here, pardner.

Mykl

Back