Which SKS? (or get a Mini-30?)

DougB

A local store has a sale going, and I'm considering an SKS. They have some "unissued" Russian SKSs with blade bayonets that look nice. They also have the Chinese versions, and some Chinese 16" "Paratrooper" models. These don't appear quite as well-made, but I like the short length (I plan on using this as a general-purpose plinking rifle - one I wouldn't feel too badly about if it were stolen or damaged). All are "on sale" for about $270, and all appear unused. They have a Russian rifle without a bayonet, and with a green plastic stock for $250. I notice that the cleaning rods are missing from some, and loose in most of them. Handguards are also loose on some.

Of course, they also have Mini-30s on sale, starting at about $400.

I'm leaning toward getting one of the Paratroopers (even though they don't look as well-made as the Russians). But would a Mini-30 be worth the extra $130? Are these good prices for the SKSs? I might also go for a Russian with bayonet, just to have one. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Doug

Ive owned both the Norinco sks's the sksM, it used ak mag's....and the standard sks from norinco, they were good plinkers....but then i bought the russian ones when they came in and they were better for me....Ive never seen the green plastic stock your talking about so I dont know about that, the ones I bought had a laminated stock and they were a around $200-$250 at the time.....you dont see many of the russians except at gun shows any more and the last one I saw in a store was new for $350 and its still there....for the money if your prices arre close, and all things being equal I would buy the russian made. fubsy.

Wow! SKS prices definately went up over the last 7 or 8 years :(
Mine was from Norinco (unissued) for 115 dollars back in '93, and yes they are nice rugged rifles that are great for plinking and even for business if you need to use it as a scout rifle.
The question is, what do you think? Di you think a Ruger is worth the extra money?
I personally would go for the SKS if you can get one in good shape and places like Cheaper then Dirt have quite a lot of neat accessories for them.

------------------
"what gives a government that arms the whole world the right to disarm it's own citizens?"

I'd go with the Russian over the Norinco or the Mini30. While I've had no problems with my Vietnam era trophy Chinese made SKS, the newer ones from China aren't as durable.

My friend couldn't reassemble it and brought it over for me to "show him how." I looked at it and couldn't put the gas tube back on either. Turns out that the piston had peened it enough so that it wouldn't fit anymore. Had to file the diameter down so the gun could be reassembled.

Our own resident Gunsmith, George Stringer confirms this problem and has worked on quite a few himself.

The Mini30 is a fine little gun, but I don't see any reason to pay more for it. I'd rather have a reliable fixed 10 round magazine over some dubious aftermarket high-capacity mags anyway.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Go with the Russki SKS.
Far superior to the Chinese variants and especially better than the Ruger.
The Norinco SKS would be the second choice.
I have a couple of Russians, and had one Norinco. Dumped the chinese nit after acquiring the better quality Russian SKS.

Or instead of getting an SKS, you could buy a Hungarian SA-2000M (AK clone with Choate Dragunov stock). Cost would be less than the SKS's you mentioned, and you would have a good quality rifle that could be modified to legally take hi cap AK mags.

I would vote for AK over SKS based on the ease of maintenance. Else I would suggest the "paratrooper" version with either fixed 10-rounder of AK mags...it is shorter and much better balanced.

I'd buy the Russian SKS. The reason being, other than quality, is that the ATF is stricter concerning the Chinese version. You cannot have a bayonet and should not have a folding stock on a Norinco unless you know for sure it is a pre-ban model. I have two Norinco's, one is a carbine, and for some strange reason the carbine is more accurate at 100 yards than the 20" model. Centerfire Systems had the collector grade Romanian SKS's on sale for 169.95.

I own both the Chinese SKS and a Ruger Mini-30, and I MUCH prefer the Ruger. Since buying the Ruger, I've never fired the SKS. The SKS was a bargain at $99, and that's about what it is worth in my opinion. Advantages of the Ruger? 1) looks, feels, and points better 2) more convenient safety, 3) much better factory sights, 4) better resale value, 5) designed for scope mounting, 6) .308 bore shoots military ammo OR US factory ammo better than the SKS's .310-.311 bore. The Ruger Ranch Rifle comes with factory rings for scope mounting. Every mount I've ever seen for the SKS was sort of jury-rigged. If you just want cheap with no concern for anything else, buy the SKS. If you want a nice rifle, buy the Ruger. Just my opinion.

Well, the store owner offered to knock $20 off each rifle if I got both, so that's what I did. $250 each, and only had to pay one DROS fee. Here's what I got:

1) NIB (more or less - the wood and metal have a few minor dings) Russian SKS dated the early 1950s (I don't remember the exact date on the one I picked). All serial numbers match, bolt carrier is bright (not blued), the finish shows no wear except for a minor scratch on the magazine that I'll touch up. Has blade bayonet, oil bottle, sling, etc.

2) Norinco "Paratrooper" SKS (16.5" barrel). Also new. Not quite as nice as the Russian, but a handy size and also looks unfired. No bayonet or other extras. I know these were cheap a few years ago, but they aren't easy to find now. This will be my plinking/camping rifle. The Mini-30 would have served the same purpose, but would probably have cost me almost double, and I'd have to buy magazines on top of that (I have an add in front of me offering ONE HUNDRED SKS stripper clips for $19.99). And the SKS is no longer imported, so it will just get tougher to find and more expensive. I figure I can get a Mini anytime.

As for the recommendations to get an AK, I already have two of the Romanian SAR-1s. I like them a lot, but live in California, so even the 10-rounders are no longer an option. I can't even get an SKS that uses detachable magazines.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Doug

If you plan on mounting a scope on your SKS, the only mount that I'm aware of, and I have tried them all, that will hold zero is the K-mount. You'll have to drill and tap the reciever and the tools come with the mount. As far as the Ruger goes, it is a fine gun. However, throw an SKS and the Ruger in the mud, stir well, and lets see which one will empty a full clip before it jams. SKS's got a bad wrap because they were priced cheap, not because they are cheaply made guns. I'll take "military" over "pretty" anyday.

I also vote for the Russian SKS. Not only are they a quality piece of history but it is near impossible to have a failure with them. They work flawlessly even under the worst conditions (dirt, sand, mud, water, or run over by a truck). Ruger makes fine weapons but they are alot less forgiving and must be cleaned constantly.

I forgot to add: They now have a after-market receiver cover that has a scope mount already built in. I think its made by Leapers Co. They run around $20.00, Scope not included...

I owned a Mini-30 for a couple of years and can say I was happy with the rifle. Good shooter, handled well and was as accurate as could be expected. Now, let me add that I recently sold it. Why? Cause I got tired of jams caused by crappy magazines. As near as I can tell there is no such thing as a decent hi-cap mag for the mini-30. And I've wasted a lot of money looking.
Its a case of a good rifle spoiled by bad accesories.

I gotta agree with Hammy- The k-mount is the way to go. I had one and it made my SKS a really accurate rifle. I recently sold mine.

------------------
Knock twice. Rap with your cane. Feels nice. You're out of the rain. We got your skinny girls. Here at the Western World
from Steely Dan's "Western World"

Back