Which Silvertip in SP101?

tyro

Help me decide which of these Winchester Silvertips to carry in my SP101 2": 145 gr .357s? Or 125 gr .38s?

I know I need to use both and make a subjective decision, but I am having medical/surgical problems which are going to keep me from firing practice for quite some time, and in the meantime I'd very much appreciate any information, advice, etc. that is generically applicable no matter what my subjective experience my be.

Part of my subjective experience has already been determined: arthritic symptoms at age 67 make me more sensitive to recoil than I would have been at a younger, healthier age. That is the reason why I had my Rugers ported.

The choice of Silvertips is determined by the fact that barrel ports are immediately in front of an Ashley Outdoors Big Dot Tritium front sight, which could be compromised by lead splatter from lead bullets (according to the gunsmith who installed both the ports and the front sight).

One specific question regarding which I would appreciate comments is whether or not the added stopping power of .357s is worth coping with heavier recoil compared to .38s.

Extremely subjective...

With regard to your last question, I couldn't really advise, because it's *your* personal discomfort level (along with a lot of other variables).

I was thinking about it, and what I might consider would be to make the 1st shot or two .357, and the rest hot .38s.

Just a suggestion, good luck with whatever you decide to do...

-tubeshooter

Well, I got a chance to shot .357 Silvertips in my new SP101 2" before surgery lays me up for a while. ('Didn't have any .38 Silvertips to try). .357s are NOT any problem for me in this gun. Happy, happy, happy with my SP101 .357!

Glad to hear that the .357 won't be a problem for you. I'm pretty happy with my SP-101 too, but I bet your trigger is a whole lot nicer than mine with your custom work done and everything.

Hope your surgery goes well, and I hope you have a speedy recovery also. Take care....

-tubeshooter

I have a standard 2" SP101 in 357 mag and I load it with Remington 125gr JHP simply because it gave the highest velocity among full powered 125gr JHP ammos. It is not comfortable to shoot but I can handle about 30 rounds of it during monthly practice without problem. In case I ever have to use it for real I don't think the recoil will be of any concern.

Back