Which side of the JBM Stability range is best?

tpcollins

The preface for the JB Stability program suggests a range of 1.3 to 2.0 for optimum stability. I have read elsewhere that a 1.4 stability was best.

So is the lower end of this scale better than the higher end, or it doesn't matter as long as it falls somewhere in between? Thanks,

IIRC, 1.4 is minimum for hunting accuracy, 1.6 minimum for target accuracy. No sense in being much over 1.6, I wouldn't think. Would only serve to exaggerate minor imperfections.

You are asking a very specific question in a general forum, and it would help readers a lot if some explanation of what you are talking about was included.

I see this often, with lots of things. Those people involved in what you are already know what you are talking about, but the rest of us don't. A little explanation allows the casual reader to decide if the topic is something they would like to learn more about, or if further research would be a waste of time, for them.

Benchresters shooting those tiny groups typically use a muzzle velocity and barrel twist to spin bullets just barely fast enough to stabilize them all the way to the target 300 yards downrange. An atmospheric change (temperature, mainly) means they have to adjust their powder charge a click or two on the measures used to meter them directly into cases. Spinning bullets too fast means those microscopically more unbalanced than others will miss the group center by 1/100th inch or more; and that's a no-no in group shooting.

Back