Which should I test shoot?

longhollow

Inactive
Hi Folks, This weekend a large SoCal sporting goods retailer is having a huge outdoors shooting fair.

Not really looking for "which is best" kinds of comments, but for suggestions from all of you on which I should test fire. And what I should focus on. I want to start competitive shooting in either or both of the two large associations. Looks like I'll go with a 9mm semi-auto in a basic production model.

I would hate to go to this event only to discover I missed shooting something great. Only company I see missing is CZ.

The following handgun companies will be available:

Beretta - Handguns / Rifles /Shotguns
Ruger - Handguns / Rifles / Shotguns
Heckler & Koch - Handguns / Shotguns
Springfield Armory - Handguns / Rifles
Glock
Wilson Combat
Taurus
Bushmaster
Anschutz
Merkel
Sigarms
Rossi
Pointer
Heritage - Handguns
Smith & Wesson - Handguns
Walther - Handguns
Thompson Center Arms
Magnum Research - Handguns / Rifles
Para Ordnance - Handguns

Thanks!

I trust you mean IDPA and IPSC/USPSA as "large associations" for shooting a 9mm.

The leading pistols for USPSA Production and IDPA Stock Service Pistol are Glocks. The 34 is targeted to the sports but a number of people actually prefer the original 17, although they usually use the light pull trigger connector and taller magazine catch that are standard on the 34. Just a matter of sight radius and balance.

USPSA says the Springfield XD is making a showing in Production but you would have to shoot one of those in IDPA Enhanced Service Pistol versus small bore 1911s.

I think the S&W Plastic M&P is worth a look.

Otherwise

Beretta - Not as many seen as when Ernest Langdon was shooting them.
Ruger - Hardly ever seen above the entry level.
Heckler & Koch - Good quality but not many in IDPA or IPSC that I see.
Springfield Armory - XD as above, a 9mm 1911 is good for IDPA ESP but is not really competitive in IPSC.
Glock - G17 or 34 as above.
Wilson Combat - Expensive 9mm 1911 good for IDPA ESP but not really competitive in IPSC.
Taurus - Hardly ever seen above the entry level... but I would like to shoot a 24/7 OSS
Sigarms - Some in use, I shoot a P226 for IDPA SSP
Rossi - I saw one guy let his wife shoot a Rossi revolver all she wanted to.
Pointer - Not familiar with the brand.
Heritage - Not seen.
Smith & Wesson - The Plastic M&P auto looks good, their metal 3rd generation pistols are OK, too.
Walther - I know one guy who shoots a P99. It is a good gun and I don't know why there are not more in use.
Para Ordnance - The LDA 9mm would qualify but I haven't seen many being shot.

Add the CZ's to the list. Particularly the SP01, tactical sport, and 75 in da/sa and sa only.

CZ is a good prospect, pity they are not on the demo schedule. Maybe you can get a look at one somewhere else before you buy.

I seldom see a BHP at IDPA.
The magazine disconnector - which IDPA considers a "safety device" and prohibits removing - is an aggravation under match procedures.
I have heard that the magazine and mag well shape make them slow on the reload.

You have two choices - Glock 17 or 34. There are many reasons the top shooters use them. They are reliable, accurate, low cost and easy to shoot fast.

This'll be a little long-winded, but here goes.

I've been shooting USPSA Limited/L10 for a while now and IDPA sporadically, and I just started shooting IDPA regularly as well. I started with a Glock 35 and was quite successful with it. The beauty of a Glock for a competition gun is it's utter reliability. I once went about 6 months without cleaning it, shooting 75-100 round matches once or twice a month and many 50-100 round practice sessions between without a hiccup. I now shoot a Wilson Combat KZ45, which is just as reliable (when my handloads are) and a little more precise.

I've decided to rotate all my guns for IDPA matches, and when I was trying to decide for today's match, I did a little dry-firing with all of them. I was going to shoot my girlfriend's BHP, but I soon discovered that speed reloads require a lot more precision than I'm used to with my Wilson or Glock.

The Glock is a great one to start with, because it really needs no improvement as is, but if you reach a point where you do want to change something it's cheap and easy. The other nice thing (especially for USPSA Production) is that mags are only about $20, and you can't have enough mags.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten a 9mm Glock instead of the .40. Glock is king of Production, but because of the trigger it's difficult to be really competitive against siingle-action wide-body 1911s in Limited.

Hi Folks,
Thanks for your comments. It helped alot at the show this weekend. See my other post for my thoughts.

Thanks Again!

Back