Which shotguns have the fastest cycle time??

I think the Benelli "system" is pretty much the hands down winner. IIRC, the Beretta is the same action - wiser heads feel free to expand my knowledge.

Giz

In theory you could pump faster than any semi-auto but havent ever seen anyone myself who looked faster than a Benelli. I practice very little and can make the damn things sing. For the people who dont have the time to master a pump perfectly the benelli will take all. In one of their brochures I believe they said they hold the most birds int the fastest time. Dont know where catalog went maybe someone else here can quote it. I would like to see how fast a select fire benelli could go, "timing would be perfect". I like my 870 but love my benelli.

I would have to second the Benelli. I've seen John Satterwitte <sp> hand throw eight clay birds (stacked) into the air and hit all eight with a Benelli in one round. Saw him do it at the '93 Masters I believe.

If you use a pump shotgun without a disconnector you can get some decent speed also but nowhere near the Benelli.

I concur. The Benelli M1 Super 90.

I have the M1S-90 and an 870MM. There is no comparrison.

CMOS

------------------
GOA, TSRA, LEAA, NRA, SAF and I vote!

American Shooter had shown John Satterwhite doing the (I think) 8 clay bird exhibition shoot. He was using a Beretta 1201. At the time he was Beretta's exhibition shooter (still is). I'm pretty sure that the 1200/1201 is a Benelli-type action.

HK (when liked with Benelli) had an exh. shooter in their HK/Benelli video who I'm pretty sure is John but he appeared to be slightly heavier and had a slightly different mustache style. They didn't give credits at the end so I'm not absolutely sure it was him. The most he did on the vid was three birds thrown horizontally in front of him and he shot them right to left. Very impressive on how fast he shot them.

Check him out : http://www.berettausa.com/satterwhite.html

- Ron V.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hksigwalther (edited January 19, 2000).]

The fastest cycle time would be a Remington Model 31. I watched a guy with one while refereeing a sporting clays shoot last summer. I first thought he had an auto, could not see him pump. The 31 had a slick action and no disconnect. Of course it hasn't been made in about 40 years.

I have a video of Jon Kruger shooting 7 birds thrown from his foot with a pump.

Geoff Ross

Amen on the Model 31. Mine was made in 1932, still only needs thumb and forefinger grip to rack the slide. The 31's nickname is the "Ball-bearing action". <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K80Geoff:The fastest cycle time would be a Remington Model 31. I watched a guy with one while refereeing a sporting clays shoot last summer. I first thought he had an auto, could not see him pump. The 31 had a slick action and no disconnect. Of course it hasn't been made in about 40 years.I have a video of Jon Kruger shooting 7 birds thrown from his foot with a pump.Geoff Ross [/quote]

Fastest cycle time? That's easy: it's called a side-by-side double barrel!! Quickest second shot you can get.

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966

The fastest for aimed multiple shots is a Benelli/Beretta with a shooter who knows what he/she is doing.
I shoot a Remington 1100 for pins and steel and can beat a lot of Benelli shooters until I run up against one who practices. They can "smoke".
A double can be fast, but for controlled aimed shots I'll bet on a good Benelli shooter.
A shooter like Satterwhite or some of the old exibition shooters could make a stick shoot fast.

Neil Casper

G Glock, right on! Especially if you yank both triggers at once, (Ouch!)

There is a reason the old big game hunters preferred double rifles for dangerous game, you know the second shot is going to work every time.

Geoff Ross

In practical terms, does it really matter? Give me my 870 any day. It may not be as fast as a Super 90 or 1201, but it's as fast as it needs to be. Anything more is just more for the sake of more, with no practical application.

------------------
Shoot straight regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center http://forums.delphi.com/m/main.asp?sigdir=45acp45lc

[This message has been edited by 45King (edited January 23, 2000).]

I agree that shotgun cycle speed is pretty irrelevant in practical terms, which is why I tongue-in-cheek mentioned the side-by-side as being the fastest.

I've shot a Super 90 for ten years, with a fair amount of experience in shotgun competition. I can make it sing pretty well, but it really is only an issue in competition where a competitor may have to knock down six steel targets in 2 seconds in order to be the guy who does it in 2.2 seconds.

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966

Probably the slowest in semi autos is the Browning A-5. I can shuck an 870 faster than an old buddy with his Belgian made A-5. Hits are about equal..

Back