Which shotgun would you pick for home defense?

Which shotgun would you pick for home defense?

• Mossberg 590A1

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Remington 870 Express Tactical

Votes: 26 44.1%
  • Winchester Ultimate Defender

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
One that they don't make, unfortunately.

You're unlikely to get into a protracted, running gun fight with a home invasion so even a side-by-side would probably do. I've seen video clips of those who have practiced do remarkably things with one.

That said...... I'd probably still go for a 12 ga loaded with Federal #1 buck without regard to brand.

They're all great guns. It really comes down to personal preference - locations of the controls, any mods you want to make, parts availability. Go check those three out at a gun shop and see which you like the best.

That being said, I bought a new 870 Police Magnum, for home defense and competition, three years ago and I'd do it again today if I had to.

I voted for the Mossberg only because I use a 500 ATP (20" barrel & 8 round capacity). The others are probably equally as good if not better. I had a Remington 870 but gave it to my Son for home defense purposes.

I think just about any multiple shot 12, 20 or 16 gauge will serve the purpose. Best would be a short barrel with at least 8 round capacity.

If I could afford it an AA12 but seeing I can't a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 will do, I have both.
I'm the registered owner of a USAS-12 (the AA-12's slightly older, much less plastic-y ancestor). I tried to do a match once while carrying it and trust me, unless it's a static position you really don't want to carry something as unwieldy as one of those 13-15lb behemoths.
Reloading a magazine is quicker, but I can put 9 rounds in a 930 SPX and only be 1 round down from a 10-round magazine.
I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world, but it's really a conversation piece rather than something anyone would want to carry. (Were it different, the USAS or a closed bolt AA would be selling like hot cakes, but neither is.)

Anyway... enough digression, back to da debates~

M590A1.

The military uses it for a reason. It is mil-spec for one thing. It also beat the Remington 870 in endurance tests. More than enough of a reason for me to choose it over the overrated R870.

M590A1.

The military uses it for a reason. It is mil-spec for one thing. It also beat the Remington 870 in endurance tests. More than enough of a reason for me to choose it over the overrated R870.

And let us not forget, political connections, and lowest bid, is a winning combination.

I built one (870)while enrolled in a Gunsmith program at TSJC in Trinidad, Colorado, I test fired it and don't recall shooting it again. With that said I sleep with a 45 auto sitting on my night stand! William

There have been multiple military contracts let, and they have bought a slew of 870s. Mossberg was the only one to submit a bid last go 'round. That is not saying there is anything wrong with the Mossberg.
Between them, Mossberg and Remington have built well over 21 million pump shotguns with no major changes to the basic action. Pick whichever one you prefer and you will be in excellent shape. Both also have excellent customer service should you need it.
The SXP is the fourth iteration of "Winchester" labelled pump since the Model 12 went away to make room for cheaper guns. This one is made in Turkey to FN specifications. I thought they had finally nailed it, but I see there is a recall out on SXPs at present. I do not know the details.

I have a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 870 and like both. However, I've heard the production quality of Remington long guns has fallen off recently. I would research that more before making a purchase.

Be aware Winchesters are made in Turkey. This is a factor for some but not for others.

The 870 I have now I purchased less than 3 years ago, have tried to melt the barrel out of it several times now during different times of the year, ie. cold and hot weather have had no problems with it, so for it has worked flawlessly, no complaints.

I've heard the production quality of Remington long guns has fallen off recently. I would research that more before making a purchase.
You've been spending too much time on the internet and not enough time shooting.

The poll needs a "none of the above" option. :D

I was an Army Small Arms repairman in the 70s when the Army used the Win 1200, and the Marines used the Rem 870. Only time in my life I ever thought the Marines got the better deal. I have zero interest in anything Winchester has since developed from that action.

Never took to the Mossbergs. Nothing wrong with them, I just never liked them much.

I'm a geezer, and have no interest in anything with the word "Tactical" as part of the name. #1, its poor grammer, and #2, normally means the gun has some feature(s) that I don't have a use for. If you do, by all means, enjoy!

I also make a distinction between home defense and combat. My idea of defense is more "repel boarders", than "clearing the house".

The "on duty" shotgun in my house is actually a cheap Chinese made 12ga rabbit eared coach gun. The main reason is because it is simple enough even my not mechanically inclined wife won't screw it up. OK, its only a double barrel, but so what? Two shots that I know she can put in her bedroom door at need give me more confidence than a 5,6,7 etc shot pump where she can short shuck the action, forget the safety, etc. If she (or I) were 100lbs lighter and 40 years younger, I'd pick something else! :p

870 Has proven its self and is my choice . Mossberg has too and nuthing wrong with them . I have no expieriance with the Win UD . A old friend of mine use to use a old single barrel winchester and a 1911 Colt . It worked for him .

Quote:
I've heard the production quality of Remington long guns has fallen off recently. I would research that more before making a purchase.
You've been spending too much time on the internet and not enough time shooting.

Although one can never spend enough time shooting, my wife would disagree.

While I have had some training with and shot pump action shotguns a bit they are not something I use regularly enough to be comfortable with in a combat situation where adrenalin can interfere with fine motor skills and make me more likely to be a butter fingers.

For that reason if I was going with a shotgun for home defense I would want either a semi auto or double barrel since I can set either one up to be easier to use under stress for me and my level of experience.

Personally I prefer a handgun with a weapon mounted light for home defense because I have a young child I may have to be holding so I would only have one hand free to operate a weapon. When he is a bit more grown and I can start training him on what to do in an emergency I will probably go back to a 5.56mm carbine.

I also have a LOT more experience and training with handguns and rifles than shotguns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back