Which semiauto shotgun?

Nightcrawler

In my area, there are several semiauto shotguns, both new and used, that I'm interested in and fit within my $400 price range. Opinions needed.

REMINGTON 1100 SYNTHETIC $369

Pros: Plenty of accessories, including the short smoothbore barrel I'd prefer.

Cons: Only 2.75" chamber, synthetic furniture, 4+1 capacity (and it requires modifying for aftermarket magazines to fit), Remington PC keylock.

BAIKAL (EAA) MP-153 $399

Pros: 3.5" chamber, 5+1 capacity, I like the way it looks.

Cons: Lack of accessories, would have to modify the barrel

LUGER SEMIAUTOMATIC (made in Turkey, like the Stoegers) $325

Pros: Low cost

Cons: No accessories, unknown quality, would have to modify the barrel.

FRANCHI AL 48 (used) $350

Pros: Good price, high quality, 5+1 capacity

Cons: Unless the AL 48 takes the same barrels and accessories as the Franchi 612, there are no short barrels or any other accessories available for this shotgun, that I know of.

NOTE: As for accessories, remember. As long as the shotgun in question has at least 5+1 capacity, I can live without any extended tubes and a shortened trap barrel, fitted with aftermarket turkey sights to provide some semblance of accuracy with slugs.

Personally, I'd go with the Remington. A proven design, parts and accessories are readily available, and the price is right. Also, I think that capacity is a non-issue in a shotgun once you go past the side-by-side. If you can't kill it or scare it into fleeing or surrendering after five rounds of double-ought buck, you need heavier ordnance...and for hunting most flying or running things, most localities limit your capacity anyway.

3" loads are great for turkey, but there's not much you can't do with a 2 3/4" chamber.

The Remington. A proven design, lots of parts, lots of smiths who know the action, lots of aftermarket stuff. As is, a great defensive tool.

3" is nice to have, but NONE of my serious ammo is longer than 2 3/4". Turkey and waterfowl get the 3" stuff, but a little research might find a 2 3/4" load that does the job. Second best turkey load in Frankenstein was 2 3/4", beating out several 3" barnburners.

The keylock and mag dimples are cheaply/easily fixed.

Thing is....

...capacity is something I like, not because I need it, but because I like it, especially in a semiauto.

And the thing is, the only Remington around here that I can afford (in addition to the sole 1100, the local Wal-Mart has two 11-87s. One for $534 and a primier grade for $599. For the time being, that's probably too rich for my blood) has an ungly synthetic stock. Yes, I know I can buy a nice walnut stock, but that's just one more thing I'd have to pay for, in addition to the $150.00 20" barrel that I want (Cabela's price). And before anyone suggests it, they don't *have* any gun shows around here where I can look around for a used barrel, otherwise, I would most certainly.

What, the boomstick? Hehe...

That little cannon has been retired, and is now standing guard as a farm gun, in case we ever need it. And so it shall probably remain for many years. :)

I personally use a Benelli M1 12ga and a Franchi 48l 20ga. The Benelli is my favorite. Very reliable and the price has dropped after their break up with HK. The Franchi is a great little quail gun cause it is so light, but it also kicks like a mule.

Yes, but...

...as much as I'd like a Benelli, I haven't got $1000 right now. Hell, I should just get a less expensive pump for now and save up for a very nice semiauto later. Between that and my Fulton Armory or Orion 7 M1 Garand that I plan on buying, I'll have two very high quality guns.

There are a few pump shotguns around my area. One local store had a used 870 in great condition for $129, but I do believe it's gone now. Oh, well, I suppose.

Get the Remington 1100.

I have two of the Synthetics.
One has a 21" RC vent rib barrel.
The other is sort of custom. It has a 19" Cylinder bore vent rib barrel. This was cut down from an older 26" IC barrel. I had to open up the gas ports one drill size.

The 21" is for shot/buck shot. Works real GOOD.

The 19" is for slugs.
I haven't come up with the sighting system I want to use on this one yet. With just a rib and no bead, it shoots real well with slugs and buckshot up close. But I want a bead and small wide "V" rear sight for longer range slugs. Not big, high sights, something small and unobstrusive that works.

And I have a factory stock 28" RC vent rib barrel.

I have extended mags for all three barrel combos.

Extra rounds are mostly for games with shotguns. Makes for interesting fun!

"Run what ya' brung and have fun!"

I thought I'd add this since your shotgun requirements (short bbl, 5+1 capacity, sights) seem directed more towards a defensive type shotgun than one intended for hunting or semi-serious competition.

A few months ago I bought myself a used (98%) Beretta 1201FP shotgun for $400 delivered. This was through an ad listing on Gunsamerica, of all places, suggested by a fellow TFL member. While it's often scoffed at by the Benelli M1 crowd for the lack of add-on toys, I have nothing but good things to say about it thus far. It fullfills its role as a defensive weapon and does well in local action shotgun competitions.

It's shares its design and limited parts interchangability with the Benelli M1/Super 90. Mine is extremely quick firing, cycles Wal-Mart special #7 target loads faultlessly (so far) and its rifle sights will herd most brands of slugs into decent groups at 25 and 50M. 20" Chrome-lined, Cylinder bore bbl, holds 6+2 (one in chamber, one on carrier) with 2.75" shells and weighs ~6.5lbs empty. A bit specialized, but very capable.

Good deals are out there, so look hard.

Back