Which scope?

slant6man

Inactive
I have a custom Remington Model 700 in .225 Winchester. Which scope would be better? The Weaver Classic V-Series 6-24x42 Ballistic X or the Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 Dead-Hold BDC? I will mostly be doing varmint hunting and target shooting. I am open to other suggestions but my price range is between $500-$600. I really would like a 6-24 scope though. Any one have any experience with the 2 scopes mentioned above? Thanks

Welcome to TFL, slant6man.
Ahh, the old Dodge slant 6. I remember them well.

I'm a huge fan of Vortex. The warranty can't be beat and I don't think the scope can either.

The Weaver has a one inch tube, and only 27 minutes of total adjustment. That's one thing that's always prevented me from buying a Weaver- most of their optics have relatively little adjustment range.

That may or may not, be enough for your .225 depending on how far you plan to stretch it, you should check ballistics/drop to see. You could always install a 20 minute base.

That said, I own three Vortex scopes...and will be buying another. I'm kicking myself for not buying the 6-24 HS when it was on sale for $400 a couple of months ago. The 6.5-20 still is, for $325 and a steal if 20x is enough power for you.

My first varmint gun was a Winchester M70 .225 Win. I had an 8X Lyman All-American scope on a Marbles mount. I never got the rifle right until an Army Msgt schooled me. When he was done with me and everything I did wrong, that rifle shot just fine. I killed my first groundhog with that rifle. The .225 never really caught on as Remington started producing the 700BDL in 22-250 and the rest is history. The .225 is a great round. Wish you much luck with yours.

Back