which scope should I buy?

Josh

I want to start long range shooting (200-800 yards) and have questions about which scope I should buy from those who are involved in it.
I have narrowed my choice to either the Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x40mm or the Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40mm,Long Range M1.

Questions:
1. Does the 30mm main tube on the M1 version leave more light in then the 1 inch tube and if so does this make for a better view?
2. Does the 30mm tube have more strength then the 1 inch tube?
3.Which one would you choose and why?

Answers:
1 - Yes
2 - Yes
3 - Unknown. I don't do variables as I find a fixed power can be found that does the job nicely with less internal things prone to break. I will say that I do have a fix 10x (Leupold Mark 4) on my "precision rifle" and I haven't wished for higher magnification at long ranges yet... also I'm sure for shorter ranges =<200 a 14 x may give you an unacceptable field of view.

Just my opinions.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited January 08, 2000).]

Seems to me the bigger the tube, the more light can get transmitted through the internal lenses. Of course, the size of the objective lens is probably more important.

Lessee. 1 mm = 0.03937 inches, right? Or, more usefully, 0.040 inches. So 30mm = 1.2 inches, right?

Would you agree that the greater the diameter of a tube, the stronger it is against bending?

I haven't used the "Long Range M1" scope, but I know that 400 yards the 4.5x14 works well. From what I read, many long range shooters use even higher magnification.

As with any high-power scope, heat shimmer during the middle of the day can create problems...

FWIW, Art

Back