which scope on a ar10

netje

Inactive
I ‘m gonna buy ar10 type rifle.

Not native english speaking, so bare with me.
Some come with decent flip-up sights.

The question what scope should i put on it?
1-4x22, 1-6x24 (….) or a 2-8x40, 3-9x50(…)
The 1 x variable magnification (power) scopes seem to e very usable in all situations.

I’ve never shot a 1x variable scope, so i would like to know how it performs in low light compared to a for example 2-8 x40(50).

The lack of a big frontal objective lens does that mean less light comming in?
Looking at middle class scopes 600-1000 euro/dollar.

Do you prefer a lighted rectile or not, tried it ones and found it distractive, do you get used to it?

Same size as the ones used on AR-15's. Small, light and no illumination stuff to break.
A 40 or 50mm front is way too big and heavy. Throws the balance off too. Even on a flat top. 1x to 4X-32(or 20mm) would be good. Nikon, assuming that's available where you are, makes a 1.5X - 4.5X -20mm specifically for AR's.
"...Euro/Dollar..." Are very close to par as of today.

Contrary to popular belief glass quality is much more important than objective size for good low light capability. I'd say objective size doesn't make a noticeable difference.

What type and size of optic is somewhat dependent on what you'll be using the rifle for. As an example I use my AR for occasional coyote hunting(usually use a .243) and possibly HD should the need ever arise. My shots are from 20 yards to 300 yards. I have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 on my AR with a Firedot 4 reticle. The illumination is nice but I've found I very seldom use it. For HD I believe it could come in handy.

I too do not like big scopes on an AR, even ones with a 20" barrel like mine. I don't know how to put in to words exactly but it just doesn't feel right. For precision long range shooting though I don't believe there would be much choice though.

I agree that a 'philosophy of use' (credit nutnfancy) would be helpful in advising a scope!

If I were to assume you'll have at least an 18" barrel, and that because we're talking about 7.62x51 you'll be shooting longer ranges...

Personally I'd get a 3-9 or 2-8 to make those long shots a little more realistic. For that budget, you can get A LOT of scopes. I am a fan of Vortex scopes.

ARs are generous as far as optic choices go, but depending on rail space, you need to figure out what eye relief you need. Again, most ARs have plenty of room to adjust to the eye relief of the scope.

The best practice is to purchase a scope in accordance the use, and fit the shooter and the rifle. An awkward eye relief is about the worst thing you could do. You should be able to naturally look through the optic without much effort.

What seems like a good match at cabelas, can be awful when out in the field shooting prone.

Again, ARs offer generous adjustment space, but some mount and optic combinations can limit the space you can move it.

Back