Which scope mount for the M1A?

AEM

I just bought a Springfield Armory M1A (the National Match model) and would like to be able to scope it for load development, long range work, etc., although it may normally stay unscoped. The SA 3rd gen. mount sounds good, but I am also interested in the SA Scout mount. I realize that the receiver-mounted scope could be higher magnification, but if the Scout scope works well I might be able to leave it on all the time. Without considering scope magnification and looking only at the two mounts in terms of stability, reliability, etc., is there any advantage to either?

Thanks

AEM, Welcome! Go to search and type in
M1A scope mounts. You will be provided with four threads which will give you quite a bit of information. Repost here afterwards and I will tell you Brookfield Precision!
Hank

------------------
And who exactly were those guys in the black hoods firing rubber bullets and flash
bangs? Local police? THE SECRET SERVICE ORDERED THE SEATTLE PD AND NATIONAL GUARD TO CLEAR THE
STREETS OF ANY AND ALL PEOPLE!!!

Hank,

Thanks for the lead; I found a lot of good info. A couple of comments threw some cold water on my idea. Several people seem to feel that the receiver mounts like Brookfield should be left on the rifle permanently; have you had any problems with taking the mount off on occaision?

Also the experience of Gale McMillan with barrel mounted scopes disentegrating from recoil has me wondering whether the scout mount is a good idea. I'd like to hear from anyone who has the Springfield Armory Scout version of the M1A.

Thanks again.

Back