which scope for hunting and tactical?

Im building myself a poor mans DMR out of a chinese m14 I am souping up and putting some work into. For an optic I would like something I can use in the woods and also something I can shoot paper with at medium ranges.(300-500)

Versatility is key here as well as the entire idea behind this project. Its my do it all rifle- hunting, target work, take the scope off and its an 18" barrel 1970s tactical room clearer as well :)

Thus- versatility in magnification is big. I hunt in alberta from cut lines to thick woods so I need a variable that will let me get reliable hits to 300 all the way in to 50 for when a deer shows up right in front of my hide.

The DMR concept I started with is pushing me towards an FFP scope because I would love to become proficient at using a holdover reticle rather than dialing in for precise shots on animal vitals at varying ranges.

Im looking at the viper PST line right now but anyone else know anything good that has a large magnification range, decent glass, and isnt too heavy?

around $1000

I have the Viper PST 4x16 MRAD FFP on a duty DPMS LR-308, and absolutely love it. And I believe street prices are falling to around $700-$800.

There's more acronyyms in your post than .... well, I got out along whiile ago ..... don't miss that part of it at all ....

The DMR concept I started with is pushing me towards an FFP scope because I would love to become proficient at using a holdover reticle rather than dialing in for precise shots on animal vitals at varying ranges.

I'm not even sure what "FFP" is ..... but as for using the reticle (of whatever design) for figuring holdover (or windage, for that matter) .... that comes with practice. I don't "dial in"- you either know where your gun shoots at a particular range or you don't ..... and that only comes with practice.

Back