Which school of Gunsmithing to attend ?

11xray

First let me say that although I rarely post here, I read the forums every single day. To me, TFL is consistently educational and entertianing, far above and beyond the vast majority of websites and forums.

To Rich Lucibella and all the esteemed Moderators, I say Good Job and keep up the Good Work.

Now a question for the enormous TFL braintrust:

I am considering attending a gunsmithing school with the goal of becoming a professional gunsmith. At which of the available gunsmithing schools will I come out the other end with the most knowledge of practical gunsmithing ?

Anyone with personal experience?
Any information will be helpful.

Best regards

------------------
Audemus jura nostra defendere

The one in Prescott AZ I think isn't too bad.Might try for info from them.The course just has been completly reworked.
If you want Ph number or address e mail me and will send
Bob

------------------
Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

[This message has been edited by beemerb (edited July 14, 2000).]

Our son is currently doing just that at Colorado School of Trades in Lakewood. Theirs is a 14 month program and seems to be pretty good.

Forget Lassen College in Susanville, CA. The program lacks the support of the administration and the machinery is old. I would consider the one in Colorado or Yavapi in AZ.

altough not a gunsmith myself while attending an nra class at the school in colo. i met a few of the students. and this school seems to touch on all the bases of gunsmithing. also i have had a few of the students help me on a few projects and was more than pleased with the info they gave me. well worth it. however colorado at this time is in the middle (hopefully more like the end) of a boom. so it can be a little pricey to rent.

One of the guys I work with p/t went to the school in Colorado.

He can do anything you want to any gun you put in his hands, I think! :D

Seriously, the man knows guns, PERIOD. And he's an excellent machinist because of it as well. He could take a piece of stock and turn it into a functioning firearm in two days. Of this, I am convinced.

JHS, I don't know the offical name know, I left Oklahoma in 1991, but I think that is what it use to be called. Most refer to it as 'Tish'. I have seen the work of the students and was amazed at the quality of work for a student. Much of it is done by hand before they let them on the machines to do it the easy way.

I forgot there is one in Pine City MN too.I toured it and was impressed by the instructors.

------------------
Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

You'll find most schools offer about the same basic curriculum however the quality of education fluctuates at many, mostly because of the use of student instructors (students on friday, instructors on monday) see if you can work with a very experienced gunsmith first then go to a school you'll learn more at the school if you have some basics with you first. You'll also find out if you really want to become a gunsmith before you spend allot of money... Most gunsmith schools have students with a very low success percentage so going to school doesn't guaranty your own success..

The Oklahoma school is at Murray State College in Tishomingo. Here is a link to the gunsmith course description: Gunsmithing. It looks like some scholarship assistance may be available Gunsmithing Scholarships.

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

Thank you to all who have replied.

I was leaning toward the school in Lakewood, Colorado, due to the brevity of the course compared to the others.

Quality of instruction, of course is the primary consideration.

But it looks like I may be packing for Colorado

Once again. Thank you all for the information.

------------------

Good luck to you; sounds like you have made a good choice. The brevity of the course has a down side: no breaks or vacations, so the course is not much shorter, just very compressed. The instructors sound very good, and you do get a solid base in machining after doing everything you can by hand -- with a file (as our son says they are told, "The file is your friend! :D")
The advice about high rents is accurate; our son rents an efficiency in an "amusing" neighborhood for $400, probably nothing included (but it's air conditioned!).
If you do go, look up Joe (George) Piper.

Good luck to you; sounds like you have made a good choice. The brevity of the course has a down side: no breaks or vacations, so the course is not much shorter, just very compressed. The instructors sound very good, and you do get a solid base in machining after doing everything you can by hand -- with a file (as our son says they are told, "The file is your friend! :D")
The advice about high rents is accurate; our son rents an efficiency in an "amusing" neighborhood for $400, probably nothing included (but it's air conditioned!).
If you do go, look up Joe (George) Piper.

I'm a native OKIE and know people who have attended there. I know a teacher and the gunsmith that runs the range I belong to went to school there. They said it is a good school. If you ask the teacher where he went to college he will say, M.I.T., Murray in Tishimingo.

Everyone refers to 'the' school in Colorado. Besides the school in Lakewood the is Trinidad State Junior College in Trinidad, CO. They have a gunsmithing program there. As far as I know, it gets more attention from the NRA (advertising and sponsored programs) than the school in Lakewood. I've not attended either, so I can't really compare the educations. Lakewood is 'big city' and Trinidad is 'small city'. If that makes a difference, check out TSJC.

Morgan, thank you for the offer. I just may take you up on that.

mrsMTN, How much longer will your son be at the school? My time frame for arriving looks like near the end of the year, if I indeed do decide to attend.

The Colorado School of Trades is sending me all the pertinent information, so I should be able to make a final decision sometime soon.

Thanks to one and all for the helpful information.

------------------

Back