Which Rifles for SHTF?

Louis Davis

Inactive
So... I expect I'd like to round out my holdings with a 7.62x51 and a 5.56 rifle.

My thinking here is putting together a very trim, semi-mobile weapons collection which will cover closer engagement (5.56) as well as longer range use where defeating cover might be an issue (7.62).

Obviously ammo availablity is an issue as well.

I think the Bushmaster Shorty wins for the 5.56, but what is out there in 7.62 which is reliable and parts-available enough to be worth considering in the US?

Any other tips?

I've been there done that bought the T-SHIRT.

For the real gun (7.62) if you plan on using it for longer range you should consider a scope with it and the differences with mounting on these heavy guns. You are most likely down to one of these three M14, Hk 91, OR FN/FAL IMO they all have their points. I have shot the M14 type and Hk91 but not FAL.

I would opt for M21 rifle for your purpose instead of 91 based on the number of smiths specializing in this type of rifle and the very high cost of mounts for Hk , and in my case I live in the DMZ of Kalifornia where the 91 is just a little more evil than the M14 type. Would stay away from CHI-COM imports unless you plan on having all parts replaced and receiver hardened properly.

Same with mags Buy USGI they should all have stamp on the back of the mag (some very faintly). For scope mounts I would recomend the Newest Springfield or Brookfield mount and for scope maybe Leupold 3.5 -10x Tac Mil DOT W/ BDC front hood and butler creek covers fore and aft.

Then again if you can afford a PSG-1 ya got it made.

The FAL is a great 308 rifle. I would not hesitate to get one. In fact, it could replace your .223 rifle.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

you will very likely find that carrying 2 rifles to be a pain in the ass.

Pick one, buy it learn to shoot it and shoot it a LOT.

If its a 30-30 a 308 or a 223 or a shotgun the best weapon to have is one you can use.

308 can zip throgh car doors and take down big game... 223 is a little light for deer.

If the point is having a do everything gun for a worst case "what if". It should have the ability to take big game, have a hi-cap mag and lots of available spare parts like firing pins, springs etc. (which u should buy NOW) Plus ammunition should be redily available whereevr you shop (that means buy a thousand rounds or so)

You should also consider price, ergonomics etc in you decision. The advantage of the M1a is that without the magazine it doesn't look that threatening to the nieghbors, same is true for a mini 14/mini 30. You can still have a flash suppressor on m1a/mini type rifles if you leave the factory stock on.

Be sure to be IN COMPLIANCE with local laws because the the REAL likelyhood is that if you screw up the SWHTF at YOUR house and no where else.

stay safe, stay legal, be prepared.

Dr.Rob

For short range and CLOSE-QUARTERs engagements a 16" barrel COLT carbine .223rem. (5.56x45mm) with a collapsable stock...

For every thing else a SPRINGFIELD ARMORY M1A NATIONAL MATCH in .308win. (7.62x51mm)with wood or fiberglass stock (your choice). If you had these two weapons you'd be about as armed as a civilian could get!

A Mossberg Marine coat 500 or 590 would really round out the long guns collection nicely! REM 870 are great too!!!

Throw in an 1911 .45 ACP and .357mag revolver, and you would never need another firearm...

HOOYAA!!!

------------------
SURE SHOT

Back