which rifle

ENC

I need to choose between two rifles which is going to be the most accurate? Used Savage 112 non accutrigger or Savage 111 Long Range Hunter. Caliber same either way 112to are known for their accuracy but i am hearing the LRH is a force to be reckoned with.

I would pick the one with the Accutriger. If you haven't shot one, you don't know what you're missing. I have rifles with the Timney and Geissele triggers and they can't compare to the Accutriger. If there is a better trigger out there I don't know of it.

I have a 111 (not an LRH though) and it shoots very well, especialy for a hunting rifle. very tight grouping and never had a problem with any part of the gun; however, with that said, I absolutely hate the accutrigger, I cant get used to the safety sheer. so I would go with the LRH, heard nothing but good things about it, but swap the accutrigger for something else as soon as possible. Either way you are going to get a great shooting rifle, but, as said before, I would go with the LRH to see if it lives up to the hype.

Screw the accutrigger, buy the one you like the best and your budget will afford. There are a lot of good triggers out there for the Savage 10/110 models besides the accutrigger and a properly tuned three screw is a really good trigger as well. The 112 will have the old three screw design, and there is a lot of info on the web to improve it.

I'd look more closely at the stocks, and figure out which one will fit you best for the type of shooting you want to do. There isn't any differences between the 111 and 112 actions or barrels to make one model more accurate than the other. Plus I'd pay attention to how the barreled action sits in the stock it might be an indication of possible accuracy problems as well.

Screw the accutrigger, buy the one you like the best

Good advice. All the serious shooters I know who buy Savage prefer the non-accutrigger models since they are going to replace it anyway. The older non-accutrigger guns could be adjusted to a better pull anyway. It just wasn't a foolproof DIY project.

SOME of the older triggers (savage) can be tuned, I have one that is bullheaded and will be replaced with Timney.
Now as far as the Longrange Hunter goes it's built for long range performance. The 112 is accurate as well, (he didn't specify Palma) but you need to go handle them and check those triggers for yourself.;)

Don't buy the Timney your going to pay $100 for a trigger the same as a Savage three screw trigger. You can buy a tuned Savage three screw trigger for $45 + shipping from Northland Shooter Supply. If you are going to spend $100 for a trigger buy a Sharp Shooter Supply Competition trigger it is the best aftermarket trigger IMO.

I have two Timney's Taylorce1, and they perform flawlessly, I may look into that savage three screw trigger but if it's the very same trigger I already have than it's no bueno. The Timney's are just sooo easy to install and tune.
Sharp Shooter's Supply Competition triggers , I haven't heard of.. sorry to the OP for jacking thread, didn't mean to.:)

Here is a link on how to properly tune the Savage three screw. If you buy the one from Northland all the stoning is done and has the new wire with it. I put them in the rifles I intend to hunt with and my varmint/target rifles get the Competition trigger from SSS.

Did that today, used spinnerbait wire for the new spring,(.040) seems like the trigger is crisper.... Thanks TAYLORCE1! for the link as I reassigned it to my favorites.;)

Last edited:
I bought a Savage 112BVSS in the mid 1990's and had a gunsmith tune the trigger for $30 and make it as light as possible. It was very crisp and about 2 lbs, with no creep. I liked that trigger better than the new accu-triggers. It felt much more solid.

Back