Which rifle?

shamster

I'm completely new to rifles. Only experience is with handguns, but want to get into the rifle. What is a good and versatile rifle that is accurate and affordable? Main use is for outdoor target range, but I would like something that is suitable for hunting (deer and other big game) as well. Also, should I go with .308, .223, or something else? And is the Remington M700 a good rifle to start with? Have read some good things about it.

Oh, forgot to add previously...I would also prefer a bolt action rifle. Capacity is not that important, but the more, the better I guess.

.223 is not suitable for hunting big game. It far from the best for deer either. Check the hunting forum. There was a big debate about whether it is suitable for deer at all. Some states don't allow it.

The price of the ammo and the force of the recoil may be a big factor in how much you shoot in practice, though. Something to consider.

Why not try it in stages? That is, find a bolt-action .22 rifle, preferably used and not fancy. Get used to the iron sights, and then maybe put a scope on it and get used to that. Primarily, the ammo is really cheap.

In the meantime, haunt a gun store or two and feel and fondle to your heart's content, comparing brands, varieties and prices. And, start reading the gun mags for comments, and browse TFL...In the long run, it will save you a ton of money and you'll still have a lot of fun.

However, if "Ya just gotta", you won't go far wrong with a 700 in .308 and a Simmons scope. No bankruptcy, no recoil, adequate accuracy, and suitable for varmints and deer.

(I don't mean this as "advice", on the 700, just that you're okay with it...)

Best regards, Art

Since you mentioned possible big game hunting you better think about a caliber that is not only versitile but widely used for hunting, target, defense, and military applications. I've always recommended NATO calibers for the simple reason that these are readily available, relatively cheap, and can be used for various applications including game hunting.

That said, look at the NATO .308 caliber. There are many different bullet types/weights to fit your various applications. In a bolt action configuration stick with the popular makes and models. I like to think if the military and law enforcement like a particular make/model, then it must be fairly well made and versitile. Therefore, the Remington 700 series bolt actions fit that category nicely.

I could not be happier with my first (9 months ago) center fire rifle. I bought a Remington 700 BDL in 30.06. I only have 2 regrets, one minor and one major. The minor regret is that I didn't chose .308 Win instead of 30.06. The reason I regret this is the cost of the ammo and the fact that the ballistics for these two loads are similar particularlly for what I hunt. The major regret that I have is that I chose to put an inexpensive scope on my rifle. It will not maintain sighting. I will fix this before deer season this year.
Regards and welcome,
Stan

------------------
"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
- Elie Wiesel 1928

I recommend the .308/7.62mm caliber in a rifle that fits you. The way I determine if a rifle fits me is to hold it in a low ready position with the buttstock between my elbow and side, then snap it up to my shoulder as to take a shot. If the buttstock catches on my shoulder, the length of pull is too long for me. If it misses my shoulder, or sits high on my shoulder, the length of pull is too short. Either condition can be adjusted by a competent gunsmith, but looking around will generally result in finding a rifle that fits. I have a Win. M70 in.30-06 and a Browning lever action in .308, both of which I purchased using this fitting technique.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Stanmanplan, take up reloading! It'll keep you out of the beerjoints at night!

Then, when you get that elk hunt, you'll find that the old '06 will have more oomph! with the 180-grains than any .308 ever dreamed of.

Not that I pay much attention to store-bought ammo prices, but I sorta recall .308 and .30-'06 stuff about the same at the WalMarts...

Later, Art

Back