Which rifle caliber for small rodents, birds, and even carry defense?

Futo Inu

I know it sounds like a strange topic, but since the topic of which handgun caliber for bears keeps popping up about once a month in the handguns forum, I thought proportionally sensible to discuss which rifle calibers are best for which chores commonly left to handguns, such as CCW defense, plinking rats out of the attic, etc. I'm thinking...

.17 Rem bolt gun for very small rodents at close to mid-ranges - good accuracy is needed to pop the little 'uns.

Marlin .22 WRM smoothbore "garden gun" would also be good for small rodents or stationary birds.

HK MP5 or MP5/10 in a shoulder sling under a trench coat for concealed carry would be about optimum for a concealed rifle/carbine.

Ruger 10/22magnum with folding stock? I know there are laws saying you can't do that, but screw them. How often is a federali going to be handling your rifle. If they are, you're probably screwed already.

I guess I'd go for the lowly .22 rimfire, given the new ammo available. I'd take either a 10-22 or something like the old Remmington 550.

At ranges under 50 yards, a head shot isn't that hard on a coyote or raccoon; possums and skunks are usually found much closer. They're good food getters on squirrel and cottontails, and if you're a good enough shot they'll take the heads off edible birds.

And a semi-auto .22 rifle is not a bad gun for self defense...

FWIW, Art

A good sturdy carbine like the Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice for rodent termination. If you want more power but still keep the carbine, go for a Ruger PC9/4 in 9mm or .40S&W. Good anti-personnel round, can also be used for small and medium game as well.

Another option would be a .223 Rifle/Carbine. You can still purchase AR-15 style weapons (unless you live in the PRK) and hi-cap magazines are readily available. I know I'm starting to sound like a Ruger salesman but yet another fine choice would be the Ruger Mini-14/30. The Mini-30 being chambered for 7.62x39mm.

I'd rethink that choice of .17 Rem for close range work. I'd go with maybe a .17 air rifle, but not the Remington centre-fire. Ewww...there wouldn't be enough of the rat left to identify it as a rat! I vote for a .22 mag or maybe a .223

Hueco

birds... rats... badguys.. can you say 12 guage shotgun (of course in AOW trim) with a short barrel.. youth/cruiser stock.$200 for the gun.. plus a few bucks for the x-fer stamp and a letter from the governer (so to speak)

However i think Colorado's CCW laws prevent you from packing a sawed off shotgun, tax stamp not withstanding. ;)

[This message has been edited by Dr.Rob (edited May 12, 2000).]

Of course you realize I was mostly joking. Obviously a shotgun would be better than a rifle most of the time for such tasks. As I said, "proportionally sensible" to shooting bears with handguns. Shoulda put some winking smilies up. ;)

I am partial to the ruger 77/22 in .22 hornet,no recoil,low noise and very accurate. They also have much more poop than the .22WRM. For the light work I use a 10/22 or my old Savage 19A bolt rifle. The more serious varmits get the GI M-16A1 upper on a PWA semi lower receiver, this has a Tasco 6x24 and shoots there quite well. The 9mm MAC impresses me with its size and burts fire at close range,they seem rough on barrels though.

Back