Which revolver?

houndawg

If I can find a way through the politics, I'd like to get involved with the inter-departmental pistol team. I believe the requirement is that the gun must be a revolver capable of shooting .38 Spl. That leaves a .38 Spl or .357 Magnum pistol for my choices. I'd like a pistol that is easily customizable. Probably a S&W. Which model would be best? I know pretty much nothing about S&W revolvers, except the model we use in the department, which is the 64.

If allowed, I would go for a 6" or longer barrel.

My choices would be S&W (used) blued steel....
Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece
Model 19 357 Combat Magnum

If at all possible, buy with trial and return priviledges.

Have a LOT of fun.

Sam

Smith & Wesson 686 with a 4" barrel and Hi-Viz sight's.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Model 14 K-38 Masterpiece is one of the 2 'standard' target pistols, the other being the more expensive Colt Python. Go with a 6 inch bbl to take advantage of the longer sight radius.

My late B-in-Law owned a K-38 and I can't get his widow to part with it. Beautiful piece of machinery.

Will you also carry this revolver?

If so, I recommend the S&W model 66.

Mine has Target Sights, Target Trigger and Target Hammer. This revolver is my most accurate handgun.

The model 66 has the same operating characteristics as your model 64, so you won't have to spend time adjusting to a new procedure.

Enjoy your new gun and the competition!

-Mk.IV

I beleive it's just point shooting at 7, 15, and 25 yards. Like I said, a lot of politics are involved. The IDOC is a VERY political oganization.

Back