Which Revolver to get?

jason.h

Hello, I am buying my first cap and ball revolver and have narrowed my search to the pietta 1858 New army Buffalo .44. However I don't know if i should get the 12" barrel or the 8" barrel. Doe anyone know how significant the accuracy difference is?
Also so far i have only looked into Pietta and Uberti are there any other companies that make these revolvers at around 300 dollars?

Thank You,
Jason Hay

If you haven't done it - try and find a shop that has both and then handle, aim, etc. both so you can feel the weight and balance of each. The 12" will give you a longer sight radius but I would imagine much more muzzle weight. The NMA 44 with the 8" barrel can be a very accurate revolver IF you take the time to learn the revolver,, how it shoots and work up a load. Most will complain that it will shoot high which is not unusual - that can be solved with installing a higher front sight . . or . . . learn how to shoot it at different distances by changing you point of aim.

While I have shot and owned the '58 NMA (.44), I mainly shoot Navies (.36 cal). I have a Pietta Remington Navy that shoots very well.

Personally, I don't like the Buffalo Hunter model as it is not based on any historical model - rather sort of a C & B "Buntline Special" so to speak. But different strokes for different folks and everyone has their preferences. Before buying "cold" though - handle them and see what you think of each barrel length. Good luck - you'll love C & B revolvers. I've been shooting them for over 50 years and have owned many - they are just sort of "habit forming"! LOL

Good luck to you! :)

See above for good advice. I don't think there's that much more velocity from the 4" longer barrel. You do get a longer sight radius and it's more useful if it's one of those cap 'n ball that take a shoulder stock. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. It's easier to get holsters for the normal 8" barrel. You'll need a scabbard for the 12".

I don't think Uberti makes a 12 inch Remington. They make an 8 inch with adjustable sights and they make a carbine model. Pietta makes a 12 inch with or without adjustable sights. Personally I abhor the 12 inch and adjustable sights have no place on a C&B but that's just me.

I recommend you look for a blued steel or stainless steel framed Remington 58 NMA over the Brass frame Buffalo. A steel / sts frame will allow you to use 45 Colt Conversion Cylinders if you are so inclined, down the line.

Pietta's frequently go on sale at Cabela's:
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1115136

Otherwise keep an eye on Dixie Gunworks, they occasionally have sales:
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_92_187_189

Lastly check on Gunbroker - I recently bought a used Pietta 1860 Army from there. It came with a conversion cylinder and was right around the same price as Cabela's:
www.gunbroker.com

The Remington for shooting and the Colt 1860 for admiring.
Accuracy with a cap and ball is as much about the load and bullet as the gun.
Nothing wrong with an eye catching long barrel version.
Not a requirement for accuracy, but very cool.
If you change your mind, it can always be shortened. :)

I assume this is the one you are talking about:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1115136

As has been pointed out, it's not a replica of any historical model. But that's up to you.

I would choose a steel-framed revolver. They are less prone to "peening" - where the cylinder slams into the frame and dents it, opening up the cylinder-to-barrel gap as a result.

The Remington New Model Army (1858) is a fine revolver. I prefer the Uberti over the Pietta as the Uberti comes with numerous added details like a dovetailed front sight to adjust for windage, a crowned barrel, and a properly-contoured loading ram face.

The Remington NMA is generally technically superior to Colt-style revolvers in that it is typically less prone to jamming from spent cap fragments and it is easier to disassemble for cleaning.

Steve

I had the Pietta 12" with brass frame. It was not my go to gun for fun though. Sold it a couple years back, with a shoulder stock. Was quite accurate on a rest. I recommend getting a steel framed gun.

uberti 1858 nma, the base model comes with a dovetail front sight, a dovetailed ram post, plus you can load conical bullets without having to grind out the loading port as with pietta's. the uberti is more expensive but offers more.

I'd get a 8" revolver, steel frame. Uberti is the better but more expensive choice (on the other hand, most things the Uberti has can be added to the Pietta with some machine tools, so).

It's pretty much the ideal length for a C&B revolver. The sight picture is long, the muzzle velocity is good. Adding 4" more gives marginal advantages in the above, but you pay for it with a really front-heavy gun.

If you have a store where you can try to hold and see the feel of various guns, that's pretty much ideal.

g.willikers said:
The Remington for shooting and the Colt 1860 for admiring...

Finding I like shooting black powder in the Colt more than the Remington.
That being said I want 2 maybe 3 more BP revolvers to go with my current 3.

Contemplating the following:
1851 Colt Navy .36
1849 Colt Pocket .31
1858 short barrel (5.5in) .44

Then I need some sort of rifle or 2. This could be a new addiction here... :D

The Remington for shooting and the Colt 1860 for admiring.

I started out with a Remington and didn't own a Colt for years and years. Now I wish I'd started with a Colt. I haven't fired a Remington in quite some time.

Old South Firearms carries a steel framed NMA if that's what you are after. I wouldn't bother with a brass framed pistol as they can only handle about half the powder capacity with a ball before you begin stretching the frame.

I wanted the Uberti NMA but got the Pietta due to the irresistible sale from Cabela's. My Pietta took a bit of work to get to operate properly, the loading window had to be opened up to allow for conicals, the grips needed a bit more work and I hate the stain they used, which I remedied, but it shoots several inches left and I'm considering dovetailing an Uberti sight in to make adjustments. Also the chambers are 0.446" with the grooves being 0.452". Ideally you want the chambers no less than bore diameter. Mine have been reamed to 0.449" and chamfered and I'm uneasy about going too much more as the walls are a bit thin.

My preference for the Remington for shooting comes from the Colts propensity for "sucking caps" off the nipples, as Duelist puts it, and for suffering loose wedges and barrels.
Both can be easily overcome, though.
And for the ease of removing Remington cylinders.

My favorites and ones for you to consider is the 1860 Colts and clones, the 1858 Remingtons and clones and the Rogers and Spencer and clones. The shorter barrel and smaller frame of the Colt 1862 police and clones is nice too as are the other "Marshal" and "Sheriff" models which unlike the 1862 police (with its smaller frame) have the full size frames but shorter barrels. All good ones. The 1858 Remington is nice for quick cylinder changes, but I personally prefer the aesthetics of the Colt 1860 and for some reason I also prefer the aesthetics of the Rogers and Spencer over the 1858 Remington.

Back