Which Remington 700 model to buy?

hawaiihunter

Inactive
Looking to buy a .308 Remington 700 for hunting medium sized game (primarily pig, but some deer ram on the side). Which model do you guys recommend?

Criteria:

* Not concerned with cost
* I live in Hawaii, by the ocean. Salt water beats things up in the Islands
* Short range hunting in thick brush characterizes Hawaii pig hunting
* Deer/Ram, imported on the outer-islands, probably longer range

I'd appreciate your input.

Mahalo,

Andy

Mountain SS or SPS SS. I'd pick the Mountain for the weight (6#) and the barrel length (22"). If you want to go smaller, the Model 7 is lighter, with a 20" barrel.

SPS - matte stainless steel and synthetic. At least that is what I would buy. Might go for an XCR if money was not an issue

Have you thought about a Marlin XL7 in .30-06? Or the XS7 in .308?
They start at $299 in the lower 48 & Alaska...and are Sub-MOA-capable, if you do your part.

Get the XCR II model 700. It appears that the trinyte finish on it is very weather resistant. I have two 700's in the XCR finish, which is the original silver stainless looking finish. Those two rifles have not showed the first sign of rust after hard hunting in rain, snow and ice. I have owned several stainless steel rifles and I think the XCR finish is the next level of weather protection on a factory rifle.

ive got a stainless model 7 308 and its one of my favorite whitetail guns. Light, handy, very accurate and takes a beating and the weather in stride.

teflon coating

Getting a barrel and action teflon coated is also an option.100% resistant to any moisture- salty or not.

XCR

I have the 700 XCR in 7mm rem mag. its an awesome gun! never had an issue with rust or oxidation or anything. its a very rugged gun.

Back