Which primers are softer

Roland Thunder

I have an M&P CORE 9mm Pro Series pistol that I had the Apex trigger kit installed on. I have a problem with light primer strikes, about 3 or 4 rounds out of every 100. I've talked to others that have an M&P 9mm with the Apex kit installed that have that problem as well. I was advised to switch to Federal primers (I had been using CCI). I tried Federal and that seemed to have solved the problem. My local gun store does not have Federal but sometimes they have Winchester. My LGS has told me they would try to get me some Federal primers but they did not know how long it would take to get them in.

I am wondering how Winchester compares to Federal or CCI as far as hardness.

Federal is the way to go. Had similar problems in my Marlin .357Mag rifle. Changed to Federal205 and problem was solved. Apart from Federal primers never to miss a strike, they give low extreme spread and are exceptionally accurate.

I am no expert and don't use CCI much, but my Dad says they are hard primers, i mainly use Winchester or Federal and have never had a real issue with either

CCI & Win are about the same in my use. Seating them, the CCI, at least in Small Pistol size, seem a hair larger, ie. harder to seat.

Federals are considerably softer in all sizes for me. I only use them in 9mm loads destined for my Sigs which have a lighter firing pin fall than my other handguns. Fed primers show pressure signs (flatter primers after firing, deeper firing pin indentations, and machining marks) far sooner than the CCI's and Win's.

HTH's Rod

Federal is the softest and supposedly the most sensitive priming compound.
As rodfac says, they will scare you with "pressure signs" in below maximum loads that don't faze Winchester or CCI.

Some years ago when Winchester quit nickel plating their primers, I tried some in my CCS Python and they nearly worked. Not quite 100% but definitely softer than plated.
So try a few.

If you normally load on a Dillon, try a batch with primers hand seated; it makes a difference. I have a Glock with reduced striker spring that will misfire occasionally with Winchesters right off the 550, but hand seated, they all fire. That is extra work, so it normally gets Federals. Don't scold me, it is a "range gun," my carry Glock has full strength spring.

From hardest to softest...CCI, Win, Rem, Fed. Off brands such as Wolf, Fiocchi are about the same as Win.

I used Win in my Glocks with lighter triggers. The striker spring in M&Ps have less of an impact on trigger weight than in Glocks. You can just go to a stock striker spring and likely that will fix the problem. Depending on what press you are using, that might be an overall safer prospect that using Fed primers. The majority of primer stack detonations in Dillons occur with Fed primers. I only use them in a non-stacked configuration.

I had the same issue with mine, all I do is keep the striker assembly and the channel in the slide that it rides in clean and dry. Absolutely no oil for lube, this was recommended by S&W and has worked great for me. I shoot any primers with no more issues. YMMV.

Back