Which pistol shows the lowest MUZZLE FLIP?

Ruger Mk II w/ bull barrel. :)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Ammo and caliber need to be considered. I don't consider the flip on a P228 too be radically greater than on a Glock 19. Of course comparing a Glock 19 to a P220 would reveal different results.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

10mm, my Mk II has a standard (not bull) 6" barrel. Of course, I'm used to shooting .303 British and 3" 12-gauge, so I probably wouldn't notice muzzle jump of less than 8" or so. :)

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

That's right. The gun with the least muzzle flip, in a reasonable defensive caliber, is certainly the H&K P7M8. Can't think of any with less, though I haven't shot the new Steyr pistols yet. It comes straight back into the hand, with very little torque.

------------------
"Potius sero quam nunquam."

Next time you are at the range rent or borrow a S&W third generation 9mm such ast the 910 (the one I own) there is almost no muzzle flip and very little recoil with my practice ammo, S&B and UMC.

The reason is good engineering.

I know it is slumming for you SIG and HK fans but give it a try you might be surprised.
The accuracy might also surprise you.

I've got a Ruger 22/45 5.5" bull barrel with a Volquartsen comp on the front.

No muzzle flip at all...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

The SW Third Gens autos are well built. I agree that the 910 has little muzzle rise but mught this be due to the size/weight ratio? Nothing wrong with the 910. In fact when I rid myself of the last plastic fantastic I just might pick one up.

As for Glocks and similar polymer pistols having less rise, I think one need to differentiate between full and empty mags. The more shots are fired and the lighter the pistol becomes the more felt recoil increase and thus rise also becomes more noticeable. BTW since this is all very subjective your mileage can and will vary.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

This might be cheating, but comped guns really do reduce muzzle flip.

I recall seeing a wildcat cartridge 1911 in a magazine with a comp that caused the barrel to dip down with each shot. That would be a truly strange experience. Higher pressure cartridges, .40, 10mm etc. will tend to be more effectively comped.

P7M8. Don't own one but fired once and believe it is the fastest, lowest muzzle flip pistol in defense caliber

------------------

Of all the .45 autos I have fired (which include several Colt 1911s, Sig P220, Kimber, Detonics, Beretta Cougar, Glock 21) the Glock 21 has the least muzzle flip.

What Adam said. That has been my experience as well. However, in 40 S&W I thought the HK USP had less percieved recoil than the Glock M22. The M22's recoil seemed sharper even though it's muzzle flip was less than the USP's.

JJCII

GLOCK 17C, these compensated GLOCKS are pussycats in terms of recoil and muzzle flip. I haven't shot a G34 yet but I would imagine that it would be even better.

Back