Which one?

Bushwhacker

I want to get a medium priced rifle to use as a anti-sniper/sniper rifle.
Which caliber .308 or 30-06 ?
Also want it to be a bolt action with 3 or more shots.
What brand Remington or Ruger,etc.
want to keep the price of rifle to around $500 to 800.
Next what scope should I put on it?
Want to be able to see the hairs at 200 to 300 yards. price on scope 300 to 400.

This is for those RBD's that I just got to "reach out and touch someone"
biggrin.gif

------------------
Tiro per divertimento, tiro per la sopravvivenza

I recommend a Remington 700, although you will have to shop around for the price and features you want. Price varies around the U.S. Here in the west, this model runs around $600 (with the traditional Monte Carlo stock). I would look hard for a used one that someone has already improved to your expressed specifications but has not shot much.

As for caliber, 308 dominates although the 30-06 gives you a bit more range. I go with 308 because there are several match grade cartridges produced now in this caliber and inexpensive surplus ammo is widely available.

Re: Scopes. For a bargain, consider the Bausch and Lomb 4200 Elite series. I just picked one up for less than four bills.

Overall, you are going to spend at least a grand on this project, and that price is with some serious shopping around. Of course, later you may want a bipod, a better sling, and extra whatever to suit your needs. Match ammo never gets any cheaper.

My advice is to indulge yourself. Assembling a good long-range rifle and learning to use it effectively is good sport and will provide you with many hours of meditative relaxation.

I consider "long range," by the way, to be at distances greater than most people can accurately shoot a modern rifle, which is about 300 yards. If you are itching to work the 1000 yard mark, then the 300 Win. Magnum is the better cartridge. The 308 though is rated to 800 yards while 1000 yard shots are not impossible.

------------------
Dubitando ad veritatem venimus.

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited June 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Trevor (edited June 15, 1999).]

.300 Magnum
.30-06
7MM Remington Magnum

Good choices.

A Remington 700 rifle would be my starting point - make sure you have a good crown, great trigger and a perfectly free floated barrel.
Use only MATCH grade BTHP factory loads and you should have good results.

Get a good bipod too. Harris is the most popular. Dont spent too much money - you need to save as much as you can for optics.

Price range for optics is about double that of your rifle.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

pick up an M700 or M70. 308, '06, or 300 Win. are about the best bets. A mil dot reticle scope is probably out of your price range so get a leupold in the magnification you want. you don't necessarily need a heavy barreled rifle, if you try to get into a shooting match with a sniper he will probably win. A sniper has very little firepower and at close range is vulnerable, especially if not accompanied by a well equipped observer. More important to a sniper is to be able to get by in the field, such as moving and hiding. Try to be inconspicuous and not be seen by any snipers if he sees you with a heavy barreled rifle with a big scope you are his primary target being his greatest threat.

Remington 700 Varminter with matte Leupold 3x9 scope for me. Check out the old threads on Remington.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

4V50 Gary has a good set up...

An associate of mine had in the past a Savage Tactical Model rifle, that he loved dearly. He had it in .300 Win Mag. He prefered a certain RedField scope - but I dont know which one.

I am not sure what happened to this rifle.
In his hands - 800 yards was his playground.

------------------
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

If your interested there is mdl 700 in 308 witha medium heavy barrel, a swift scope with a laminated stock for $675.00 at this gun store (615)256-6127....the rifle is in wonderful shape, it appears to have had very little use...........I had to choose between this one and a 300win mag sendero, I choose the sendero as I hoping to pick up a m1a......dont forget woodscraft...fubsy.

How about the Winchester M70 in 300 Win mag w/cheapo scope that Wal-Mart sells for $370? Not fancy but it'll do the job and leave you hundreds of $$$ to spare for ammo.

Bushwhacker

Have you tried Auction Arms? Currently listed is a Remington 700 ADL, .308, new in box (inventory overrun) and the high bid is $300 (as of 0500).

<a href="http://216.25.99.23/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3728164518">Click here to Load that Auction</a>

You may want to check this out. Spend a little on the rifle, more on the scope and you have a nice base on which to build a "Precision" rifle. Latter you could add a heavy barrell, bed the stock, etc, etc.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Back