Which one would you choose?

old fart

i went to my local shop to get a 22lr handgun, hoping for a wrangler but a no go on that. what they had has me puzzled on which one since they are close to price with each other. a used like new, a Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Fiber Optic 22 LR Full-Sized 10-Round Pistol with 4 magazines for $291.50 otd, the other is brand new Ruger MARK IV™ 22/45 with the easy take down button and 2 magazines for $318.00 otd. which one would be a better deal? thanks

Hi Old Fart, I have a bunch of 22 pistols, 22LR is my favorite caliber to shoot. I have not purchased a S&W Victory, they get some good reviews, but I just cannot get over the way they look, it is not an appealing gun to me. I recommend the Ruger. I have the older MKIII 22/45 and LOVE it. I also have a higher end Volquartsen Scorpion based on the 22/45 frame which is my favorite pistol. The newer MKIV has a recieved great reviews, is much easier to take down than the MKIII, and has tons of after market parts if you are into tinkering...one of my favorite parts.

Go with the 22/45, you will not be disappointed!

To do what with? Both of those pistols are entry level target pistols. Which one fits your hand best?
Which Ruger matters though. There are heavy barrels and not. The 22/45 has a heavy barrel. About $30 each for a mag. ($32.00 for a Smith mag.) Both directly from the maker(that matters as well).
MSRP on the Smith is $409. A 'stock' 22/45 Ruger is the same.
The used vs BNIB matters too. 'Used' comes with no warrantee.

Based on the price and used vs new, I’d probably go with the Ruger. If they were both new Or both used in the same condition and the same price, I’d probably go with the S&W.

i went to my local shop to get a 22lr handgun, hoping for a wrangler but a no go on that. what they had has me puzzled on which one since they are close to price with each other. a used like new, a Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Fiber Optic 22 LR Full-Sized 10-Round Pistol with 4 magazines for $291.50 otd, the other is brand new Ruger MARK IV™ 22/45 with the easy take down button and 2 magazines for $318.00 otd. which one would be a better deal? thanks

For plinking, pick one. Doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Years (and years) ago I shot a Ruger Mark II in a league and did ok.

That said I've recently shot the S&W Victor and was really surprised at what a solid pistol it is.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice...I kind of like the suggestion above that you get 'em both and see which one you like best. (And then follow Cheapshooter's rule and keep the other one too...you know for friends or for variety etc.)

I’ve had a Victory. I have Rugers. My wife has a Buckmark.

Factory spec, they are all about the same. Pick the one you like most.

If you enjoy mods, Rugers all day every day. The S&W is after that. The BuckMark is last.

Personally, I prefer the metal frames on Rugers and it was a big reason I sold the Victory. It always felt nose heavy.

Back