Which One......AR10(T)Carbine or Steyr Scout ?

Milehi

Santa was good this year, now I can't decide which I want the most. The Armalite AR10(T) Carbine or the Steyr Scout. Can't get'em both......divorce cost to much.
I'm not looking for a long range, tack driving sniper rifle(sorry Gale!)but a handy,quick, fairly lightweight rifle in .308win.

Please......I'm only considering these two rifles.
BTW......Gale if you see this, I know you're not a big "scout" fan , but did you ever consider building a scout as a semi-production gun?

That's a tough call. I am about one off of each (Brockman Scout and AR-10A4) and would have a hard time with your choice.

The AR is about ten lbs., both shoot very well, cartridges the same. Scout will be easier to carry. Both can be scoped any way you wish. Scout'll have a better trigger, but the AR's is fine.

The AR should be less expensive (I think) even with a scope in the mix. Scouts without the scope are in the $1800 range.

I'd probably get the AR if I did not have a major caliber SA. If some stupid legislation comes down, the Scout should be available longer..

Giz

Go with the Armalite AR-10T. You've got accuracy covered with its heavy stainless steel match barrel, enhanced trigger, and picatinny rail (accepts many sighting options). Where the AR-10T is hands down better than the bolt action Scout is in its semi-auto action and magazine capacity. This makes it more versitile than the scout by far.

I don't have an Armalite AR-10T but do have a Stoner SR-25 Match for discussion purposes. I also own a Scout, and it depends on what you want to do with the rifle.

If you want an all-round light rifle that you have to carry, day in, day out then I would go with the Steyr Scout. The recoil is very managable and the Tactical has the traditional style bolt handle. If you don't care for the Jeff Cooper forward mounted optics (I like them, but you may not) then the Tactical is the way to go. You get to choose what scope you want and how it's to be mounted and it costs several hundred dollars less than the JC package. True, you don't get the gun case or Ching sling, but those can be added later or may not be needed. Your call.

If your going to be plunked down in one place and require lots of firepower (read high capacity) then the AR-10 would be the selected weapon. The problem arises when you need to find magazines. Yes, M1 mags are available, as long as you order the conversion kit ($47 each) from Armalite or send them two mags to get one back. Just be aware that may take some time.

Be glad you don't have to find magazines for the SR-25. They are like finding hen's teeth, rare and expensive....

DblTap

Back