Which of the Mauser actions?

bergie

For quite a while now I've been toying with the idea of getting a rifle built. With the wide variety of surplus Mausers on the market, which one do you feel is the best for putting together a nice sporter/hunting rifle? I'm not talking about dumping major bucks into the project, I know there is much more to it than just screwing on a new barrel, but my checkbook isn't exactly overflowing, so I am looking for advice on how to get it right the first time. I would like to end up with a rifle that is mine, and would like to go with a somewhat uncommon caliber like .308 Norma mag. I have been somewhat taken with that since the first one I saw about 6 years ago, and have only seen one other. Another thought is to go with .30-06 Ackley. (Hey, if I wanted to be like everybody else, I would just go buy a new Remchester whatever mag) I have followed along on most of the threads about Mausers, and realise just how little I know about all the different varieties, lengths, threads, etc. So, the question for those of you much more knowledgable than I, is which action would you prefer, and why?
thanks for your thoughts,
bergie

Bergie, while I have built several rifles on the Turk Mausers I much prefer the VZ-24 actions. Especially if you are considering a magnum round. You can as a rule expect to pay a little more for these. For instance, when I build a rifle for someone a Turk action cost them $50 while the VZ-24s run them $100. The least expensive rifle I've built lately was $750 so depending on stocks, triggers, etc you can plan on spending quite a bit more than if you bought a Remchester at Wal-Mart. When you get your list of particulars together, you can e-mail me if you like and I'd be happy to give you an exact price quote. George

Don't forget the FN actions. I haven't purchased any lately, but in the past you could buy a stripped FN action from Springfield Sporters. These were made in the 50's and considered, by some, to be one of the best actions on the market.

Argentine Mausers are also good BRNO are good for custom rifles. I plan to find a good 1909 Argentine and convert it to .25-06 or .280. Most of the Large ring Mauser are good for high pressure cartriges like these. Small ring Mausers are good for low pressure cartriges like the 7x57. Stidk with the large ring if you want to sporterize for hunting.
In my opinion if you dont want to spend a lot of money but still want a mauser action buy a winchester mod 70. Im not sure but i think you would have to do some fitting in the mag well for that mag cartrige.

Back