Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ATI Calvary

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jay24bal

I am looking to add an O/U to my collection in the somewhat near future and am looking for advice from people who have experience with them. I have only owned pump and semi-auto shotguns, and have very little experience shooting an O/U.

Here is what I am looking for: the best bang for my buck with a rather limited maximum price of $600. I am well aware that the "good" O/U shotguns can and do cost 3X+ more than what I am looking to spend, but that is not in the budget at the moment. I am looking for a 20 gauge.

I will be using the gun primarily for shooting clays, and the occasional pheasant hunt. I really just want to dip my toe in the water of O/Us to decide if it is something I would like to use more often over a pump or semi. If I decide that I do want to get more into them, I will acquire a "nicer" one at a later time. I prefer to purchase a new gun, but if a good deal on a "better" used one came along, I am not opposed to that. But for the purpose of this thread, I would like to stick to new guns since there is no guarantee that a used one will be available when I am prepared to buy.

With my research, I have come across three options:
1. Stoeger Condor - $370 in my area
2. USSG MP300 Series - $450 in my area
3. ATI Calvary - $470 in my area

If you have experience with any of the three, please let me know your thoughts. If there are other options I have missed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts as I begin to head down the road of O/Us.

I would go used or try to up your budget. The wonderful thing about an OU is the pointability and feel. With the cheaper shotguns, you just dont get that "feel" that an OU is supposed to have. I've held a Stoeger and an ATI (I think) and was off put. Neither pf the cheapies had the feel. Just outside of your budget would be a used CZ if you can find one...I see them from time to time and do own one. I actually had my heart set on a Beretta and went home with a CZ Woodcock and am very pleased with it. Something to think about anyways.

I just picked up an ATI Cavalry a couple of weeks ago. So far I am happy with it. Its light and points well, but kicks like a mule. Im ordering a limb saver recoil pad for it to help with the recoil, after about 75 rounds my shoulder is not happy. I figure if I can get a couple years out of it, I will be happy. I have held the Stoeger, it didnt fit well for me. I dont have any experience with USSG.

IF you can wait a little and watch for a deal, you should be able to find a used Browning or Beretta for about $1000.
"Buy once, cry once" is very apropos here. I bought a Browning Gti about 20 years ago when they were being discontinued for the new model called then the 325. 20 years later, almost 300,000 rounds later, it works just fine. At 90,000 I needed to replace some springs (and had the firing pins replaced then as well) - total cost about $100. Try that with one of your current choices. I can now sell it for at least what I paid for it, so it cost me nothing as far as the gun cost is concerned. Remember, since you said you will be shooting clays - if you shoot even a little regularly, your cost for ammo and targets will FAR outpace your cost for the gun. These guns cost what they do because they are reliable, well-made, properly regulated and hold their value.

If you think that $3K is expensive, don't go looking at Kreighoffs, Kolars, or Perazzis.........:eek:

Now that's out of the way. A good O/U is a lot like a good watch. My Brownings have been going to the line for over 20 years, without any problem. Divide the cost of your O/U by 250,000 plus rounds, and you will find that they are not too extravagant. A good O/U can last a life time, so be careful what you buy...:)

42 years ago, my wife gave me a Rolex GMT. I had it cleaned twice, and last year I gave it to my son on his 40th birthday.

Big D is right, you should hold off, save some money and buy a quality used Beretta, Browning. SKB's are a hidden gem. You are going to be disappointed if you get any of the ones you listed and they will have terrible resale value. Don't rush into it, wait until you save more money and find a good deal on a used gun.

A few of the gents I shoot with all say the same thing, avoid the Stoeger line. Collectively they have more years of shooting than I would like to count up.

The best bang for your buck is very unlikely to be a cheap O/U. It will not handle like they are supposed to, and will not impress anyone who knows anything about shotguns at the range.

If you can't stretch your budget, go with a pump or semi auto.

Cheap O/U's are pretty much all junk. Esp. for clay birds where the round counts add up in a hurry. Stay far away from the cheap O/U.

The cost to build a gun with two barrels is far higher, thus an inexpensive 2 barrel gun will be a very bad investment.

Your money is much better spent on an pump or semi for a lo bucks gun for clay birds.

Back