Which new bolt action?

Spyderman

Okay, I've been saving up for a new rifle, and I'm to the point where I need to decide which one to get. I want one that's cheap enough to shoot, that I can become VERY proficient with it, without going broke feeding it. I'm primarily looking at one chambered in 308win/7.62 nato. It needs to serve several purposes. I want it to be simple and light enough to carry when hunting for small to medium sized game. The largest would probably be deer or similar. It also needs to be accurate enough for varminting and non-competitive bench shooting. I would also like it to be able to serve as a tactical rifle. The models I've been looking at the most are the Remington 700P (aka 700PSS) and the 700VS (although there catalog says it's only available left-handed!?) and the Savage 110FP. The detachable mag version of the 700P is nice, but I really dont need that feature (the more saved, the better scope I can get). I know Winchester makes a heavy barreled tactical/varmint type rifle as well, but I haven't heard much about them. Any recommendations or advice? Thanks in advance.
-Spyderman

I've got a Savage 10 FM Sierra that shoots 1MOA all day with just about any ammo.It's got a 20" barrel that's freefloated the action is bouble pilar bedded in a Syn. stock.It may have cost a lot less then the Remingtonbut it sure shoots great.Plus it only weighs 6.5 LBS.with the scope and sling.Their new short action is alot smoother than the old 110 used to be,plus it has an adjustable trigger.It's a great all around rifle.

So, basically you want a benchrest/varmint/tactical/deer rifle- Right?
Well, that's a tough order to fill!

In the past few years, there as been a trend toward the "do all" rifle. The only thing consistent is the caliber, .308 Winchester. I doubt if any single factory rifle will meet your criteria. You might have to budget some custom features.

My personal solution for this type of rifle is as follows:

Winchester Classic Stainless rifle in .308- standard weight barrel not featherweight- I'll be sending this one off to a gunsmith who specializes in accurizing factory rifles (pillar bed, recrown, trigger job, true, lap, hone action, etc.) barrel length 20" with a heavy bead blast finish so the stainless is more grey than silver. Warne Rear Peep bases, quick detachable rings, and simple post front sight. High quality scope (I'm trying to resist the desire to "over scope" with the lovely Leupold 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Tactical...)

Winchester is moving their manufacturing facilities to the FN plant in South Carolina so they aren't shipping many rifles I'm told. FN is rumored to have a very desirable 20" chrome lined barrel Sniper Rifle built on the Winchester Classic action but I have yet to see even a picture. The Remington 700P Light Tactical Rifle might fit the bill but might be as much as $800 if you can find/get one. Alot of members swear by Savage but I am neutral- the rifles just don't fit me right...

Browning A Bolt II in any stalker versions with or without the BOSS system. It will probably out shoot any out of the box rifle on the market and some custom ones.
Enjoy....... go to the thread on A Bolt Composite(BOSS)

[This message has been edited by DCB (edited December 28, 1999).]

DeBee; Glad to hear there is someone else out there who dislikes the way Savages fit.
I looked at them seriously but just couldn't find one that felt halfway decent.
Now if they get their ergonominics(?) together they may have something. Until then Remington rules in my book.

------------------

I have little experience with any but Remington in rifles. I've had excellent results in every one I've ever shot & I'm very familiar with their trigger adjustments & the safeties are in the same place evey time. Makes it nice when switching between rifles.

Rem makes the .308 in the M7 (a lightweight - 18.5" bbl) to the 40XB & +. Custom shop does some other interesting things. There's bolts & pumps & autos. Zip exp here on the autos but the pumps & bolts are pretty darn nice shooters right out of the box - wish the bolts used the same "contoured mags" as do the pumps, tho' - & the bolt triggers, once "professionally adjusted" are top notch for an out of the box rifle.

Rem pretty consistently takes the out-of-the-box shooter contest (can't think of the name of that match for the life of me!).

"Tactical" means a coupla things. You want to do a one-shot/one-kill or be able to moreso lay down some firepower? Both, actually could be served with the pump. They can be amazingly accurate (totally free-floated barrel) & are very quick for follow-up shots & have removable mags. Most would choose the bolt for the 1 shot scenario & an auto for the latter, although I can't imagine why.

Ya know - an average old 700ADL wood stock would do just about anything you wanted to do & cost about $300-350 new sans scope. Get with a knowledgeable buddy to glass-bed/free-float/adjust that trigger just a bit & put the rest into decent optics. You'd have everything you'd want (aside from a custom rifle) & be at ~$550

One other thing. You might want to narrow your search to a rifle with a barrel at 20"+ in .308 ... the shorter barrels don't deliver the muzzle velocity that you may expect (want). They'll still do the job but no sense being disappointed without that blazing velocity everybody seems to need.

I just looked at Remington's web page and it says that the 700VS rifles will be back this year. They had dropped them last year. For what you describe, I would go with the 700VS in .308. I like the stock on the VS better than the one on the tactical/police rifle. The 700P stock is a prone style with a pretty stright pull. No doubt the gun is geared at shooting from a bipod or sandbags.

I shoot tactical matches and NRA Highpower. The 700VS is an excellent gun for tactical shooting and at 9 pounds it is not real bad to hump around. I have a VS in 308 and love it. It is on the second barrel and I would not trade the gun away for anything. The accuracy is excellent and it makes a fine varmint rifle. I have a Harris bipod on mine.

One more thing, spend the extra money and go with a 30mm scope. The Leupold models with the side focus are really outstanding.

I own a Winchester model 70 heavy varmint with the fluted stainless steel barrel in the 308. I topped it off with burris signature 6-24x(44) electro-dot scope. When I sighted it in, it put four rounds of Hornady's 168gr TAP ammo in the one inch bullseye at 100yrds. The trigger had a heavy pull but I didn't have time to get it adjusted. Now that i'm recovering from hernia surgery, I had a chance to get it adjusted. The gunsmith weighed the trigger at 7lbs! He adjusted it to 2.5lbs. Since it's only been two weeks since my surgery, the doctor said I can't shoot for a few weeks yet ): Good luck finding what you want.

I believe the Remington still enjoys the reputation of being the most accurate out of the box rifle. However, my gunsmith buddies tell me they see fewer problems with the Winchesters. The fluted Winchesters are very popular out here (in the west) and guys like them a lot.

I bought a Remington 700VS about a week ago. It shoots terrible. Turns out the stock bolt hole is drilled crooked in the front of the reciever so it torques the action when the screw is tightened. In turn, this pulls the barrel sideways in the stock. What a bummer.

No matter what you get, be sure the barrel runs straight down the channel and check to be sure it is fully floated. I would go with a one piece base and good rings and get the best optics I can afford. Enjoy your new purchase.

Back