Which mossberg from these 2?

Karrill

Im acquiring a Mossberg for my 30th birthday, and have fairly well narrowed it down to two specific models...

First up, the 590A1 Mariner. http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-590a1-special-purpose-590a1-6-shot-9-shot/51273?u_field_prod_shot_barrel_finish=Marinecote@259&nodeRef=2262,2263,2264,2265,2266,2267,2268,2269,2272,2273,2274,2275,2276&redirect=1&lastnode=1&filterNodes=2269

Only a 6 shot 12ga, but a damn clean gun. As it's my "birthday" gun, I like the added nice-ness of the metal trigger guard and safety (though IMHO, the safety is almost indistinguishable between the two, the trigger guard I notice the difference on). 18.5" barrel is fine, with the reinforced barrel wall it has the weight of a longer barrel anyhow... No real downside to this, but the other choice is a little different, not much...

Second, the 590 Special Purpose Mariner. http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-590-special-purpose-special-purpose-9-shot/50299?u_field_prod_shot_barrel_finish=Marinecote@259&nodeRef=2254,2255,2256,2257,2258,2259&redirect=1&lastnode=1&filterNodes=2259

Main difference is the plastic trim (I have several polymer pistols, so this doesn't inherently bother me, at all), the 20" barrel, and the big one in my opinion, the 9 shot total capacity.

I know that I can always carry more ammo, and that ideally I would never need to use the 6 shot capacity even, let alone the 9. The extra metal is nice too... so, what would you choose, and why?

FWIW, yes, Im pretty specific on the marinecote finish, which does limit my selection somewhat. I haven't looked at Remington's Marine finish, but I do know its on the inside of the barrel as well, but I still want the Mossy I think :)

i had a 9 shot 500 with both pistol grips and it wass a hoot to play with and chase stuff around on the ground with, go for the 9 shot it never hurts to have 3 more in the tube :D

I dont know much about these but I got a glimpse of a winchester with marine finish in the store today. Looked pretty decent and had the $310 price tag new. I have had an 8 shot parkerized mossberg before with a pistol grip and I didnt like it, unbalanced for me.

"Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test, "a brutal and unforgiving torture test with 3,000 rounds of full power 12 gauge buckshot". (The updated 3443G specification requires a metal trigger guard, so only the Model 590A1 variants, which have a heavier barrel and use metal trigger groups instead of the standard Model 500's plastic trigger groups, will fit the requirements. [2] ) The 500M mils have the metal trigger group, and the heavier 20in barrel"

More importantly the Mossberg is the only shotgun that did not FAIL this test.

Boomer

More importantly the Mossberg is the only shotgun that did not FAIL this test.

Specifically, name those that did FAIL the test, meaning they were even submitted to it. Just because one particular gun maker is the only one manufacturing a model to meet particular specifications does not mean that others are inferior.

I have an 8 shot 590 Marinecote. I bought this shotgun around 14 years ago and it has been a great home defense shot gun.

I have often said if I had to do it over again I would buy the 500 because there are so many barrels for it. You can even get a muzzle loading barrel.

I really do love my 590 though so I don't think you would go wrong with either Mossberg.

Why wouldn't you want 3 more rounds unless weight was a concern?

The 590 A1 (they make a 9 shot too!) is the heavy barrel and metal trigger group/safety gun. Get the 590 Special Purpose and replace the safety with an aluminum switch.

Listen to me!

@ Dreaming100 Straight

To my knowledge a list of the manufacturer's that participated in spec 3443G has not been released to the public so not to embarrass the participants that failed. From what I've read there were approximately 6 manufacturers involved. What I do know is when Remington was asked to participate they respectfully declined.

If Remington had participated and failed it would have been bad for their gleaming reputation. They had little to gain and everything to lose. If you haven't noticed the manufactures that failed have kept their mouths shut. Smart move.

Failing that test still doesn't mean those shotguns are garbage. They could have failed from something as simple as a sight falling off during drop testing.

But the fact still stands for Mossberg is the only one to pass

Boomer

Im thinking I agree with several posters here, and will go for with the 590SP. I like the added capacity, and will almost certainly put an aftermarket safety switch on the gun, a cheap fix.

For me, the selling point might be that there are no marinecote-finished tube extenders for the 590A1, so either the capacity is a 6-shot gun, or the tube becomes a bi-tone one, and Im not a fan of that idea.

I know that I can always carry more ammo, and that ideally I would never need to use the 6 shot capacity even, let alone the 9. The extra metal is nice too... so, what would you choose, and why?

The 590 SPM with 9 shots. You can always put a pistol grip on instead of the stock if you wish and the extra metal will make it more controllable.

Jim

Personally I don't like the 9 shot. 18.5 to 20 inch barrel gun point better, they're lighter and you gain very little with extra barrel length on a shotgun.

Boomer

The 9-shot Mossberg 590 Special Purpose is NOT a heavy-barreled gun and IS 20". Handles like a dream (until you add the bayonet -- HUZZAH!)
;)

"Mossberg claims the Model 500 is the only shotgun to pass the US Army's Mil-Spec 3443E test

Mossberg does not make this claim. They state that they were the only one to pass the "requirements" then they go on to mention the testing. The requirements was for a gun that had two extractors and they were the only guns to have two extractors hence the only ones to meet the requirements. I suppose it's worded intentionally to mislead as if a politician were speaking. As far as the testing goes any gun will meet a measly 3000 round test.

The only things I don't like about my mossbergs is the safety is in the wrong place and the frames are aluminum. Aluminum will fail much easier than steel if something gets hung up in there as can be seen over at shotgunworld where the safety broke on one and the ball fell in the action and caused the elevator to rip the bottom of the frame off.

Just an update.... I went a different route entirely

I was in the store, and a shotgun caught my eye... Remington 870P in walnut. 18.5" parkerized barrel, factory +2 extension for a 7+1 total (2 3/4).

Here's what is presumably the kicker.... the s/n begins with RS. If Im not mistaken, that means this gun was produced in November, 1998.... back in the good days for Remington. Its still new, unfired. When I held it, it felt more substantial than the 590A1s and the other 870s (even the current 870p in synthetics I looked at, 2 different ones) Ive handled, and the pump action is like warm butter. It sold itself.

Back