Which Mauser should I buy?

Strabs

Not very familiar with all the different makes, so was wondering what makes to look for (for durability, making mods, etc.). On that note, Are the Yugo's any good, or are there any others currently available that are of better quality? ( which recievers are better-small or large ring?- what are the differences?)

Thanks, Strabs

These are just my opinions, of course:
1) Don't worry about small/large ring questions unless you are buying an action to customize. Most on the market are large ring. If you want to understand these and other types of variation, you will have to buy books and look at a lot of rifles
2) Always have head space checked on rifles you intend to actually shoot. Buy the gauges and learn how to use them or have your gunsmith do it . Most of the guns are fine, but a few are at least at the point of becoming questionable.
3) Don't believe any talk of getting a great bore or great accuracy. Most of the bores are actually on their last legs and probably most of the bedding is also gone on these rifles. Therefore, you get mediocre accuracy. You are not going to get the equivalent of Shilen's best barrel on these rifles. If you actually got a great bore on a really nice rifle, it would be kind of a shame to shoot it out at this late date, its worth more as a collector's piece, you know.
4) Collectors will always want all matching serial numbers (all original) on their rifles and , of course, in the best condition possible. These will eventuall bring the highest prices when supplies dry up. Mismatched guns are good as shooters and for customizing. You have to make up your mind what you want. I can go for both types.
Rifles currently available:
A) Swedish mausers M96 (long) & M38 (short). I think these are the best quality wise: you should be able to get a beuatifully made rifle with all matching serial #'s. I would get the nicest one I could while they are still available. 6.5mm Swede. Not a 98 Mauser, a 96 Mauser.
B) Persiam M29 Mauser: These where made by the Czechs in the 30's, are in great shape and are arms of the highest quality and with all matching serrial #'s. This is another one that should be bought while they are available. 8mm standard 98 Mauser.
C) VZ24 Czech Mauser: Lots of these are available. They are fine 8mm standard 98 Mausers, but they have mismatched parts. I am told that ones w/ serial numbers starting with 2 letters, the second one being an R (XR), where made for Romania.
D) Yugoslav M 48: A 98 mauser made after WWII by the Yugoslavs. Finish is not as fine as on pre-war Mausers, but these guns are in excellent shape. 8mm standard 98 Mauser
E) Various other Yugoslav Mausers: They had a lot of models before the war plus captured weapons. Serial #'s are mismatched. Who knows what you are getting with these? They should have been checked and OKed by their arsenals. I would want to see these in person before buying. But they are cheap 8mm standard 98 Mausers.
F) Turkish Mausers: They had lots of different models by various manufacturers and then reworked them all themselves in their own arsenals. So they are all mismatched "Frankensteins". The oldest ones are pre 98 Mausers. Most look pretty beat. I would want to see these in person, or really trust the person I ordered it from. 8mm Mausers very cheap. If you get a nice one, you would have made quit a good deal.
Have fun with all of these. There is one for every budget.

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited April 09, 2000).]

Thanks Herodotus! I am planning on doing some mods such as : synthetic stock, better(newer, fresh) barrel, different safety. Basically, I like guns that can be used and abused and not neccesarily kept as a collector piece. I only know Mausers for their durability and reputation (stressing durability)and would like one for the action features (I handled a few and the actions seem very solid and durable), and a little bit for the aesthetic value :)

Mausers are the best military rifles for customizing, both for esthetic and functional reasons.
Czech VZ24 actions are probably the best of the currrent lot for this purpose: well made pre WWII standard Mauser 98 actions. Before the present glut of imports (I think from East Europe) they were considered one of the best for this purpose, sought after and should still be so considered.
Be aware that once you start doing these upgrades, the rifle quickly ceases to be cheap.

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited April 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Herodotus (edited April 10, 2000).]

for gen. info

Small Ring Mauser generally has only 2 lock lugs. They Small Ring were also chambered for 6.5x55, 7.65 Arg, 7x57.

Large Ring Mauser is of the 98 variety and will have a 3rd "safety lug" and will usually be in 8x57 , 30-06 etc

There are of course exceptions (lots and lots of them)

a very gen. history is

1893 - 2 lug 7x57 Small ring

1894 - Swede Contract 6.5 x 55 carbine and guide rib moved to bolt form receiver small ring

1895 - 2 lug 7x57 with Safety Tab small ring

1896 - Swede Contract rifle

1888 - Commission rifle, not really a Mauser but is often called one any way it was chambered for 8x57J (really an I in German for infantry)

1898 - 3 lug 8x57J (really an I in German for infantry) with a .320 bore and cocking shield

1898 - 3 lug 8x57JS (I for Infantry and S for spitizer) with a .323 bore and cocking shield

I agree that the Swede 6.5x55 is one of the best mausers (great triggers)

As for 98K types the CZ or the Ugo are both very nice for the money and the Turks are cheap but condition varies GREATLY from rifle to rifle.

I recommend the NRA re-print "Mauser the rifle that made good" it is about $4.00 and really well done

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'd suggest confirming before you buy one, that Yugo '48's are VERY slightly shorter than other '98's (even though they are large rings.)

Too short, I think for 30-06, 'short magnums', etc. but OK for .308, .243, and 25-06 (which is shorter than other '06 based rounds). (8mm Mauser, for which the Yugo's were chambered, is slightly shorter than 30-06.)

But, excellent quality nonetheless--one of the best from my reading.

The previously mentioned NRA Mauser publication IS excellent. Also HIGHLY reccommend Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on Mausers--it's the best. (If my copy weren't boxed up for moving I could have given a more definitive answer.)

[This message has been edited by weegee (edited April 10, 2000).]

Back