Which magazine length for 280 AI ?

Bruno2

The longest COAL I am seeing is 3.330 in the data. My choices of magazine length are 3.560 or 3.715. If I seat out closer to the lands it would probably be longer than 3.330. Is the shorter mag cutting it too close? The only reason I haven't decided on the longer mag is simply not wanting any feed issues. I want the magazine to be reliable.

Thanks in advance!

I assume you have the rifle in hand, should be able to figure out what fits and what doesn't. SAAMI specs are 3.330 max but your magazine may accept slightly longer

Most long actions are 3.715" mags. The 3.560" is a "custom" length for some Savage and Tikka bottom metal. I hope that helps since, like hounddawg, not really sure what you are asking.

I am ordering a chasis for a build. The options are the magazine lengths mentioned above. The build is on a Savage long action. I haven't even been able to source the Redding dies I am wanting due to everybody being out of stock. So I have rifle or ammo to try anything with. I was hoping to get some feedback from the experienced 280 AI guys.

well it is better to have more magazine than you need than less since either will work with the brass. The longer just gives you more options. Since you are doing a custom build call the barrel manufacturer and get them to send you a copy of the reamer specs and compare that to the SAAMI specs to determine throat length

Back