Which M1A ?

JKnight

Should I get the stainless barrel? Fiberglass stock? Does anyone know why the wood stock models are more exspensive than the fiberglass models?

I would like to hear some pro's and con's from some M1A owners.

I recently bought the "loaded" model which purports to have a match barrel (except with the standard barrel profile- not the medium weight contour of the National Match model), a match trigger and match sights. I went with the carbon steel model just because the price was already so high that I was having trouble breathing! I also figured that rust resistance wasn't quite as advantageous if the entire rifle isn't stainless. There may well be advantages to a stainless barrel in terms of fouling or barrel life, but I would defer to more technically sophisticated members on that.

I really like the match trigger and feel it justifies the extra cost over the standard model.

The walnut stock is very nicely done and very attractive. I'm sure it costs a whole lot more to produce than the fiberglass. I saw used stocks in walnut, birch and fiberglass (with all hardware) advertised at great prices by Forrest, Inc. in the Gun List. No web site, just a telephone number that is almost always busy: 619-561-5800, California time. I ordered a fiberglass stock for $10.95! I'll report back when I get it.

Enjoy! It's a great rifle.

i just bought an M1A loaded..fiberglass stock...black barrel...i'm sure sst would have been better..it was available...but i hate shine...its a personal thing.........
the fiberglass stock is really tight ,i like that. you cant access any stock storage areas with the fiber stock bc the butt plate is screwed on , its rubber, not the standard gi.the storage areas are there..i might spring for a steel plate, or keep the cushy rubber one on.fiberglass isnt affected by weather as much as wood is.-johnny

I got the Stainless Barrel "loaded" version (NM rear sight & trigger), walnut stock. The walnut stock costs more to make. It also retains the mag better than the fiberglass stock (less slop due to the liner). You'll get about 20-30% more barrel life from the stainless barrel, plus slightly better accuracy. Overall, an outstanding rifle!

------------------
An unarmed man is a subject.

First of all, good choice on the rifle - you'll enjoy it in whatever configuration you ultimately go with. On barrel choice between stainless and carbon steel, I would recommend the stainless for cleaning ease and longevity. I have a Krieger stainless on mine and no doubt will get 5-6000 rounds through it before I will even think of changing it out. In regard to stock material, it's hard to beat the look and feel of the traditional walnut on an M1A. However, remember that it will be affected by adverse weather and is prone to damage, particularly at the front sling swivel and where the trigger group clamps in. I have a custom kevlar-graphite stock and a walnut one that I swap every so often just to have the feel of a "new" rifle!

Any way, let us know what you choose and enjoy!

Back