Which M1A?

Jeff Thomas

I am absolutely convinced I must own an M1A. My problem is that I don't have any experience with these rifles, and I don't think I will really have an opportunity to get that experience without buying one. And, as soon as I begin discussing this with a potential seller, they of course ask me what options I want, stock, etc. For many of these questions I don't have a clear answer.

I really like the wood stocks, so I either want a walnut or collector / GI wood stock. Besides aesthetics, how would I choose? And for barrels, there are a slew of choices - stainless steel or carbon (?) barrel? National match or ?? Standard length barrel or 'tanker' / short barrel? Sights ?? Chinese or American parts?? Boy, I'm a bit lost here.

And, what about a source? Springfield Armory seems the most prolific and likely. However, we have Smith Enterprises right here in Arizona, and I hear they put together some of the best M1A / M14's in the world. Any other sources? But again, any manufacturer / seller obviously wants to know what I want on the rifle.

I'll spend most of my time learning to use it at the range, and I'll want to learn on relatively short (100 - 200 yards) out to long range targets. I doubt I would ever compete with it, but it would be nice if I had that option. Most likely serious use would be deer / elk hunting. I know it is a heavy rifle, but it is a darn good looking rifle, and it has a fantastic reputation ... just want to own one and learn all about it.

I'll keep reading up on what I can, but I feel like I need some good advice right now, so I thought I'd ask my friends on TFL. Thanks.

Regards from AZ.

Hi Jeff, My vote is for a Springfield. Some of the others are OK, but a lot is junk (Chinese esp.). And it is very hard to tell the difference with out some experiance. The only problem with the Smith is figuring out who built it and what the previous owner used it for. (a highpower guy may have shot it out and wants to get a new one, so he's selling the junker..) I think that the choices are pretty clear.. Get a "standard" SA with what ever floats your boat for a barrel material and shoot it a while. Then buy another for what ever specific use you have, IE, a tanker/scout or a HB match gun. I would also strongly advise getting from an individual so there is no paper trail. This option is worth about $200 to me at this time. Stock up on magazines (start now) and have fun looking.. Giz

If you want my two bits (inflation), I would opt for the Springfield Armory's "Loaded" M1A package with a standard length NM barrel and either a synthetic or a laminated wood stock. Around here (LA), that package goes for about $1300.

I'm somewhat wary of those "Tanker" setups or any other modification of a service rifle that was not evaluated and officially adopted by any military.

I will heartily agree with the above post.
Shoot it, enjoy it and if you get to where you are out shooting the gun send it off to Springfield's custom shop or Fulton Armory etc and get what extras you want at the time!
If you don't plan on shooting competition the out of the box Springfield should serve you well! Don't fool with a Norinco import unless you plan on sending it in for an upgrade and spending enough bucks to have bought a good one in the first place.
Try it, you Will like it!!!
Hank, Good Shooting!

I really hate it when you get "the server could be down. repost message ?" and everything comes up twice a millisec later!
Get the M1-A!

[This message has been edited by HankL (edited May 19, 1999).]

I have the SA M1A standard model which I like. The thing shoots cheap ball ammo with satisfying accuracy.

Fact: I shot the PSG-1 Heckler & Koch (kindly provided by H&K for marketing test) with the same ammo ($10,000 rifle)with no discernable difference in accuracy from SA M1A with Leupold scope.

Although I am generally not in favor of scopes on general purpose rifles, also have the SA quick detachable scope mount which allows me to mount a 6.5 X 20 Leupold for surgical work. The USGI mags are the best in my experience. Get the SA!

One of my all time favorites.....I dont think you can go wrong in any configuration with this rifle.....stick with springfield for the manufactuer. I owned the 18 1/2 inch barrel with folding stock from the factory at one time.....shooting accros the hood of a 4x4 all of us were able to hit clorox bottles filled with water at a rolled out 300 yds....the folding stock wasnt that good but the rifle is good.
I too am looking to reacquire another one and the best Ive seen is the ''loaded package'' from springfield arms.....it comes with a match grade air gaughed stainless barrel and match trigger and sights......the only difference between the three available were the stock materials....plastic is $1430, walnut $1550, laminated $1650---those prices are in my area and are a little high I believe....start buying mags....fubsy.

I just bought a springfield "Loaded" M1A and it is a thing of beauty, black fiberglass with carbon-steel chrome-moly lined barrel. I will be shooting it for the first time this weekend.

I also just bought (10) 20-rnd genuine GI issue M14 mags from Cole distributing for around $270 delivered ("like new condition" according to the ad.

http://www.cole-distributing.com/

Sorry I got here so late.

I'd still go with Smith Enterprises and Smith will build one for you if you want. The heart of the action is in the action. Please refer to past posts on M14/M1As for further information.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

for my two cents worth on the subject, a Springfield M1A is the easiest route to go but, for my three M1A/M14 rifles I have, two started as stripped receivers that were sent to Fulton Armory to be built into "service grade rifles" and the end result was fantastic. near bolt action acuracy. I cant say enough about Clint McKee and his work.
THe third is a Poly Tec that I purcahsed off the firing line classified for $599.00 and I recently sent it to Smith Enterprise to have the bolt conversion and carbine conversion
done with a new match grade barrel, will keep you posted when it gets back.
I have about $1400.00 in each of the Rifles built by fulton and either will out shoot
my fathers Springfield "Loaded" M1A.

just an alternate idea,
Eric Sharrock

------------------

i recently spoke with Ron Smith at Smith Enterprise. I purchased a Norinco M-14 off E-bay before they stopped selling arms. he told me there really is nothing wrong with the Chicom rifles except for the Bolt. I sent mine out yesterday for the upgrade. he claims it'll shoot sub 3" groups with just a changing of the bolt and no accurizing. I paid under $500.00 for the rifle and his price is under $400.00 for the upgrade so I'll have a safe decent rifle for under $900.00. I really can't wait.

------------------
www.customholsters.com
M/D ENTERPRISES Custom Concealment Holsters
Gunleather so nice it's almost a crime to conceal it
mde@icsi.net

No disrespect intended for someone who probably knows more than I do about M1As, but I have to wonder how anyone can guarantee accuracy in a rifle by simply changing the bolt.

Jim

Jim made a good point Mark. Does Ron mean that the Chinese made bolt is too soft (or no good) and should be replaced.

If that's the case, and the bolt lugs wear too fast, then Ron may have something which will affect accuracy. IMHO, changing bolts won't do any good if the barrel is junk. Given that the barrel is good though, and the bolt is bad, it would make sense to trade the bolt so as to keep the rifle shooting as consistenly for as long as possible.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back