Which M1A to get?

DougB

I'm thinking of getting an M1A before California bans the current version (although this will probably only mean the flash suppressor will have to go). I am having a little "sticker shock" though. If I go for the most basic Springfield model, am I giving up a lot over the "loaded" and higher grades? I don't plan to compete, but I'd like it to be reasonably accurate and reliable. I didn't care much for the looks of the fiberglass stock, so I'm leaning towards the basic wood-stocked model.

Also, have the prices on these become inflated lately (like AR-15s)? If so, I'll probably just wait till after Y2K - I could live without a flash suppressor.

Finally, I've seen a few references to another version of the M14. It may be Chinese, but I'm not sure. Anybody know about these, and if they are worth considering? Thanks.

The standard would be good choice to get before ban, remember the ban states a threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash hider M1A is threaded far as I know. Yes the price does seem a lot more than before, saw a loaded for approx 1600.oo and a M21 for 2700.00 have a friend at a gun store who say cant find any in his wherehouses he orders from, I asked creedmoor sports about bare rear lug recievers and they said wait was 120 days min. Would just get standard if you dont plan to accessorize with scopes, slings, sights and other things, log on to creedmoresports.com to see prices for the three different models. I have national match and s match, when you buy check headspace, it should be written on beige sheet of paper connected to gun, see my posting on 7.62vs 308 to see what I'm talking about. Basiclly you might want to use 308 winchester for tighter chamber or 7.62NATO for larger chamber. Good luck

I know what it is like in Kali its an arms race against the man.

------------------
The beauty of the second Amendment is that it is not needed until they try to take it. T JEFFERSON

Any of the M1A's will do. They are all accurate and robust. If you can't afford to purchase 1 right now don't worry to much. The M1A only has 1 "evil" feature the flash hider. After the first you could still buy a Scout which has a muzzle break not flash hider. Also I'm sure that Springfield will come out with a Kali legal full length model that comes from the factory with a muzzle break.

Good luck Woody

If money is a consideration, go for the basic Springfield M1A. I think they will all have the same reliability, NM or not. NM is really geared towards accuracy. Remember, all of the NM parts could be installed later. There is nothing magic about the "Loaded" receiver, it just has the NM parts installed and that coupon (which is really worth several hundred in savings if you buy stuff from Springfield like a scope).

So, go with basic knowing you can upgrade it later. Fulton Armory does some real nice NM modifications. http://www.fulton-armory.com/M14Rifles.htm

LL

If you can find one, Smith Enterprises makes the bestM14 type rifle around. Do a search on the older threads here for more info on why Smith Enterprises is superior to Springfield Inc.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

If money's a problem go ahead and get a standard M1A. You can pick one up with a cool GI stock for less than $1400, and the standard barrel is more accurate than you may think.
I have personally seen and shot an "accurized" (glassbedded, NM sights, and NM suppressor) standard barrelled M1A, that shot less than 1 MOA.
I liked it enough to do the same with my standard. It works good enough for my liking, and was less expensive too.

------------------
Happiness is a tight group!

Doug,
I just bought one also. I got the synth. stock National Match for 1,650. You better get you mags very soon. Try "Cole distrubuting" on the net for the best prices. Springfiedd also makes a muzzle break and that will all be needed to make it SB23 legal! What part in CA you from. If it's down in S.D. I know a store that has a few at a very good price...Steve

------------------

Get the one you can afford, all the Springfield variations are good... With any variation of the M1A you cannot go wrong. The SUPER MATCH is tops if you got the $$$. If not the national match is a good compromise...

Related question, please.

I noted over at Smith Enterprises that you need to provide your own receiver. Dumb question - is my memory right that that is the part that must go through an FFL? So, to buy an M1A from someone like Smith you must buy a receiver, and then they build it from there?

Thanks. M1A's are indeed beautiful rifles.

Yes, the receiver is the part which requires a FFL.

Unless they've stopped doing so, Smith Enterprises makes their own receivers. The production # is very low as they are a very small shop. While they're small, their dimensions (especially the bridge) is mil-spec. The same cannot be said of some other makes.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

I own a SuperMatch, a NationalMatch and a "standard" M1A (I am currently saving for a M21.

My analysis of the different guns is like this. When I want to shoot groups, my SuperMatch is the way to go. Great gun, low recoil and smooth action (I can show off and put a trash can out and to the right and drop every piece of brass right in it). My NationalMatch is my play gun. It is not as accurate as my SM, (.5" vs. .6") and it has more recoil then the SM. It also has a preference for IMR-4064 powder and does not like winchester brass, but it just feels good in my hands.

My standard is my drag in the field gun, it goes camping and it is what I use when I just want to burn some powder. I have hunted with it, I use it for protection in the back country and I do not care about it getting scratched.

Which would I pick if I had to only have one? I would probably get the NM. The SM is to heavy for the field, and is really a target only gun, the standard just lacks the accuracy of the NM.

Fortunately I have a very understanding wife and a good job, so I buy one variation a year and 2000 is the M-21.

Good luck

pete

All,
Thanks for all the input and insights. I'm now leaning towards buying some magazines now, and the rifle later. Since I live in California, that'll probably mean I'll get some sort of muzzle break (or nothing) in place of the flash suppressor. While it irks me some, I'm thinking that may be my best bet, because then I won't have to register it as an "assault weapon." I hate to have to register it (and maybe lose it in a year or two) for the sake of a flash suppressor.

But I still haven't really decided. I'm basically trying to "beat the bans" now - getting AR's, maybe an AK, and high-capacity mags for everything, while I can still do so legally. Much as I like the M1A's, they are expensive and I can get almost the same thing (I think) next year.

Steve,
I'm in Northern California. But thanks for the tip about the mags. That's probably going to be my priority for now.

Doug

Back