Which lever-action is better? Winchester or Marlin?

genephillips

Inactive
Which lever-action .30-30 is the best choice,
the Winchester or the Marlin? Overall ruggedness,reliability and accuracy are my main concerns. Any advice would be appreciated.

The major advantage of the Marlin is that a scope can be mounted where it belongs, over the bore, with no problem and no interference with ejection. Marlin is easier to dismount for cleaning. Winchester has the edge in traditional looks and pistol caliber is available for CAS.

Otherwise, both are rugged and reliable. They are both reasonably accurate, considering that neither is going to match the power capability and accuracy of a good bolt rifle.

Jim

Its really a matter of which handles better for you. I like Winchesters, but Marlin does make an excellent rifle.

I'd have to say that the Marlin is the better choice due to its ability to handle better sights. Obvioulsy the Marlin scopes better than the Winchester, and if you go to proper iron sights like the Ashley Outdoors Ghost ring, the Marlin is also superior. The need to mount the rear sight forward of the receiver, makes the Winchester less desirable when proper iron sights are the consideration.
Best regards, Randy Garrett www.garrettcartridges.com

I have 4 Winchesters, a .45LC, a .44 mag, a .22 and a 30-30. I have 1 Marlin. My next lever gun will be a Marlin. The Marlin is every bit as good as the Winchester, and is a bit smoother. You really can't go wrong with either. Scopes on a lever gun are an abomination and destroy the looks of the gun. Sometimes you have to accept that though, and the Marlin does lend itself to a scope better than the Winchester. Either way, Marlin or Winchester, you get a good gun. I love each of mine for different reasons.

I saw a bunch of good rifles that had been choped by some sicko anti gun types, among them were several winchester lever guns and one marlin lever gun.The S.O.B.s cut them with some sort of shear through the recevier. The winchesters cut through the bolt no problem,the one marlin aparently stalled the shear and had to be cut ahead of the bolt.I say marlin is best but I always did like them better anyway.

Hmmmmm... I guess I'm going to be the `waffler' here. {GRIN!} The way I look at it is that they are both pretty decent pieces and that one should chose the one that `feels right'. My own personal preference would be the Winchester but that's mainly because that's what I've shot in the past. Though the only Winchesters I now own are a 9422 and a model 61 having gone to Browning A-Bolts for most of my shooting these days.

------------------
Doleo ergo sum,
-HALFPINT-

Back