which kimber

AAChang

Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma
Small problem here, it is that my 21st b-day is coming up (well not for another 7 months but it's time to start saving money now) so it's time to set a target. Now I can't decide between a Kimber Custom Classic or a Custom CDP. Now around here the Classic runs for about $630 and the CDP for about $999. My only question is that are all the bells and whistles of the CDP worth it. I mean I like the nights sight but I don't know if I would be better off with some Novaks instead. I also like the ambi safety on the CDP. Besides that and the nice finish and the Ambi safety, what else comes with the CDP. Would I be better off just buying the Classic and putting on the bells and whistles myself? Since this is my first 1911, or for that matter handgun, advice on this matter would be welcome.

1st gun? I'd stay away from an aluminum frame for my 1st gun. Go with all steel frame & slide. That said, you narrow your choice to the custom classic.
Plus, set your sights a little lower. Then as your experience grows, you'll know exactly what YOU like not what other people tell you to like.
Lastly, stay safe and enjoy yourself!

I have a kimber classic that I just love to shoot. It is my most accurate handgun next to my s&w 686. I would highly recommend it. I like the sights just the way they are. The only thing I changed was I put in a lighter hammer spring from wolff's.

For a first 1911, I would go with the Custom. It is a fine gun.

I really dont think the CDP is better, just some extra stuff added. Personally, I dont think the extra cost of CDP's is justified.

The trigger and slide-to-frame fit really is no better than the Custom. The night sights on the CDP's I have seen are all one color, and in dim conditions it is difficult to tell which one is the front sight.

The CDP is really on semi-custom at best... it aint up to the standards of a custom 1911.

By the way one thing i have learned about 1911s is that you can avoid having to do a trigger job if you go to a gun show, or a store with a lot of 1911s, and dry fire a bunch. Dont settle for a creepy trigger even on the Kimber Custom. I found one about 6 months ago that breaks at 4.5 lbs with no creep at all.

After toying with the idea of a bare bones 1911 to build on (like a SA Mil-Spec) in addition to buying a worked up 1911 (like a Wilson Combat CQB), I decided to buy a Kimber Custom Classic.

I am absolutely happy with my Custom Classic. I've added a set of Novak LoMount bar-dot tritium sights from the Kimber Custom Shop for about $125. Now, It features everything I need and nothing more. The black parkerized finish is nothing but business. And Kimber frames and slides are dehorned and smoothed unlike the SA Loaded models which feature many angular edges.

This gun is reliable. I just got finished running a second range session of 250 rounds of FMJ with only one failure to eject. This gun has digested 500 rounds with no other malfunctions using the much cursed factory-supplied magazine.

As for the CDP, I think the "melted" look is almost excessive when the standard Kimbers are so well finish. Personally, I find no use for checkering on the front strap. The matte black finish on the Custom Classic is not all that slippery to begin with. Also, what's the purpose of a ambi-safety when I'm right handed? (Yeah, I know. So I can work the safety with my left if my right hand is injured in a shootout. OKAY! If my pistol was drawn before injuring my right hand, the safety is off. If my pistol is holstered on my right hip, drawing with my left hand would present a greater obstacle than flipping off the safety).

Take the money you save from choosing the Custom Classic and buy a 1000 rounds of FMJ and some range time. That should be reason enough.

Which pistol you choose depends on what you want to do with it. If you are going to shoot it a lot, like in competitions, then you should get an all-steel gun like the Custom Classic. If you plan to carry it, and you don't mind the weight then it will do the job. If, like me, the weight is a bother, than an aluminum frame gun is a better choice. I have both the Custom Classic and a Pro CDP (commander sized). I shoot the Custom Classic in competition and I carry the Pro CDP. The manual of arms is the same, but the Pro CDP is much more pleasant to haul around on your belt all day. Both of them have been 100% reliable with Wilson 8rd mags. I didn't even try the factory mag that came with the CDP because the follower wanted to tip forward and jam on the front lip trying to load the first round. Jeeez! A Wilson 7 or 8rd mag should be standard equipment with any of the Kimbers, but particularly with the higher end ones like the CDP.

I think most of the features on the CDP pistols are there for a reason. For a price difference of about $300, its a lot cheaper to buy the CDP than to do the same mods after the fact to the Custom Classic ($150 to checker front strap, $100 for sights and installation, $$$$? for the meltdown, $$$$? to refinish it, $50 for the ambi-safety, $40-50 for the fancy wood grips, etc).

The CDP is certainly a beautiful pistol. I personally would like to see all the stainless parts blackened but the two-tone look is growing on me. I would prefer to have Heine Slant Pro Straight Eights on it rather than the Meprolights it comes with but since Kimber is in bed with Meprolight, I understand their choice. The extra checkering on the mainspring housing and the front strap is appreciated in an aluminum frame pistol. Recoil is noticeably more stout with the CDP and the checkering helps me keep control of it. Don't get me wrong, recoil with the CDP isn't all that bad, but it does snap a bit more in the hand while the Custom Classic is more of a push. I suspect that's because the CDP has most of its weight up high in the slide. My aluminum frame Sigs have the same problem.

The $999 price you mention for the CDP is, I have reason to believe, about $150 over the dealer cost so there's room to deal on it. I paid $899 for mine at a Denver gun show which was a very decent price. On either of these pistols, make sure you dry fire it before you lay down your money. While the fit and finish of Kimbers is great, they've been letting a small percentage of pistols out the door with creepy triggers. Oh, they'll fix it for you after the sale (and very quickly, I might add), but it costs you to send it back to them. Better to make sure the trigger is right before leaving the store.

Thanks guys, I posted over at the 1911 forum and the general concensus with a few exceptions is that Kimber Custom Classic is the way to go. Keep the opinions coming, along with any other advice on buying a Kimber. You guys have been great so far, keep it coming

I would get the Kimber Custom. Although if you are looking to spend atleast a grand for a CDP then I would check out Wilson or Les Baer.

Go with the Classic Custom. While adding some of the features that the CDP has (checkering, night sights, etc) would cost more, the work (if done by a good smith) will be MUCH better. Personally, I do not like the Kimber sights and the checkering is awful. Get the Classic and add whatever bells and whistles you want. You won't be disappointed in the long run.

I was also attracted to the CDP on looks. Many also don't know that there is a full size version available.

Full size will get you a longer sight radius, more velocity, less muzzle flip. If you buy an all steel model, the added weight will greatly decrease recoil and muzzle flip.

For my own purposes, I wanted accuracy, looks, quality & very importantly I wanted something I could be proud to own for the rest of my life and not want to trade up from in a few years.

I bought a Kimber Gold Match Stainless. Swapped on Hogue black rubber grips with finger grooves.
Very happy with my dealer via email. Local price was $1300 & I got it for $1050. Hogue grip $20. Kimber uses Chip McCormick magazines which have a very good reputation. I bought one 8 rd and two 10 rd of their new "tactical" stainless finish. Paid $13 and $20 ea.

Bought it 3 weeks ago & very happy. Did my first reloading Saturday, 1200rds. Saves 2/3 the $$$, minimum.

Back