Which is it?

tank1949

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With all the latest hype, Obama and his "pinkos" keep screaming gun control or wanting to ban certain military so-called cop killer ammo, which is it? Back in the 60 and 70s, a 5.56 military round was a 55 grain fmj BT with an open rear end, where lead was exposed. We could shoot the same GI ammo in commercial .223 rifles. It is my understanding, that the military went to a hotter 5.56 round in the mid 90s in order to increase MV from shorter 16" barrels. To achieve this increase MV and be safe, the barrels’ throats or bullet lead was increased. Some accuracy was lost, but since the rifles were not meant to take out enemy at long distances, the loss was acceptable. So, now, what is the standard military round designation and specifications? The M855 is 62 grains of projectile with some sort of steel insert or hidden tip and affectingly known as "green Tips." Or, penetrators… BUT, I was told that these are meant for machine guns. Are, standard infantry rounds still the 55 grain BTs?. Which is it??? Does military use non steel core 62 grain bullets in their rifles?

In my experience 62 gr greentips were the bulk of what we used in the Marines (1996-2000). We were also given tracers for some applications. I never saw any NATO 55 gr in the service. My main rifle was the M16A2.

Oh, the steel penetrator is there to punch through things more easily, I just meant that the round doesn't meet ATF's definition of "armor piercing" since the penetrator isn't heavy enough in relation to the rest of the bullet.

Back