Which gun will fit the bill?

Auger

Inactive
Am interested in getting started in the Sportsman's Team Challenge and the NSSF 2 person event. Have everything but the centerfire pistol. Any thoughts? Would also like to use the pistol in other informal shoots, Bullseye, IDPA, IPSC, etc. Was interested in the Desert Eagle in .357 but don't think it would be allowed in other events. Would like some dialouge.

Kelly

Might want to first observe what other (successful) shooters use...

For IPSC I use two GP100's, a 44 Redhawk, a 1911, two Witness 9x19's, a 40 S&W-9x21-41AE Witness, a 38 Super / 45ACP Witness, and soon (still collecting speedloaders) a 41 Redhawk.

If you want a gun that can sort of do everything, a 1911 in a .40 or .45 would work. I would prefer the HK USP45 or USP40 for the best price to value ratio.

Of the handguns I have I find I end up using on of three, which allows me to shoot most competitions.

1. Glock 17 (9mm standard model)
2. Smith & Wesson Model 14 (38 Special, 6", Millet sights)
3. Smith & Wesson Model 65 (357 Magnum, 4", Fixed sights)

This combination allows me to shoot a fairly large number of events, reasonably well. In addition they are quite cheap to buy and to run.
The two revolvers are K frames which allows sharing of a certain amount of equipment between them.

Scooter2 is correct though if I were to choose a single gun I would consider a 1911 style double stack gun, in .40S&W

I shoot IDPA, and I use either my Glock 19 or my Glock 21. I'd steer you to either of them (or almost any Glock, for that matter) with much confidence. The G19 is my carry piece as well.

A Kimber .45 ACP would be another firearm high on my list. I think they're the best out-of-the-box .45's out there without going to a custom shop.

Most of the guys you'll see doing well in IPSC are probably shooting a .38 Super.

If you plan to shoot a lot, I'd steer you to a 9mm based on ammo cost.

Back