Which grips (stocks for purists) :)

Steve Smith

Ok, my Springfield Loaded came with checkered wood grips...since it's a carry gun, I found out that the checkering "chafed my hide." Sooooo, I bought the first nice looking smooth stocks I could find and slapped them on. They're pretty, but they're awful fat (my hands are short). This was confirmed by a friend who has started coaching me a little for IDPA. He handed me a set of checkered el cheapo thin micartas and said, "Do whatever you want to them....try 'em out" So I take them home and take down the checkering and make them smooth... The thinnes of them makes the gun feel so much better! However, to say these grips are ugly is an understatement. So, I need a new set of grips. Requirements:

Must be good for everyday carry and shooting control for IDPA (thin and good gripping surface).

Must be good looking...gun is stainless, so it must look good on stainless. I hope I never have to use my carry gun, but if I do, I don't want it to look like a $50 "junk gun" because of the grips. Good looking grips would add a little credibility to an individuals intents, right?

Must be tough...I am, after all, going to use the gun a lot, and shoot IDPA and maybe a little IPSC with it.

I think the only materials out of the question are ivory (cracks and is expensive) and pewter. I like the look of stag, but is it thin enough? Buffalo horn? Micarta?

Help...thanks in advance.

Try the thin stocks from Chip McCormick. You can get them smooth. I believe the material is Rosewood.

If you don't want wood grips or prefer plain or high tech looking black grips, check out http://www.carboncreations.com . They are available as a thin/slim grip as well, which requires new screws/bushings (available from Chip McCormick). I have had mine about a month, and have been pleased.

Arguably the very best to be had in wood are Craig Spegel's. His checkering is superb and has not proven to be too sharp &/or abrasive. Has @ least three grades of wood of differing types. Craig is @ 503/368-5653 {OR}. P.O. Box 387, Nehalem, OR 97131-0387

Back