Which Glock to buy, new G17 or reconditioned

Garbob

Inactive
Hi Guys, I need some assistance. I am ready to purchase a Glock 17 and am not sure whether to buy a new 17 for $499 with low capacity mags, or a factory recondtioned high capacity 17 for $529? The G17 is the new style gun. Is there a major disadvantage to buying high capacity after market magazines? Or, should I pay the extra and get the used gun and get the factory high capacity mag? Help!

I'm surprised that the reconditioned G17 costs more than the new one. Maybe it's just my dealer, but the factory reconditioned G17s I've seen, even with hi-caps, cost less than a new G17. I guess my dealer figures that the main item being sold is the gun, not the magazines. The hi-caps that come with reconditioned Glocks are used, not new, and he sees them primarily as a sweetener. It's getting harder and more expensive to find factory hi-caps, but they're still out there.

That said, the best magazines for a Glock are made by Glock. Some aftermarket mags are probably okay. But I personally believe that the odds are against your finding a truly reliable aftermarket Glock mag. Also, some aftermarket mags are made of steel and will damage the plastic mag catch of the Glock pistol.

Anyway, I've purchased several factory reconditioned Glocks (G17, G19, and G22) and have found them all to be functionally excellent. In fact, I'd assume that all reconditioned Glocks are functionally about the same. OTOH, the cosmetics of reconditioned Glocks vary from chewed up to perfect. If I were going to pay $529 for a reconditioned pistol (and, to me, this price really does seem high), I'd want to make sure that it's as good as new or nearly so in every respect, cosmetically as well as functionally.

JMHO.

I think you can do better on prices, new or reconditioned.
Try the Jersey City Armory ( www.jcarmory.com ). His prices are great, and often has reconditioned G17's.
I got my new G17 for about $430 (cash).

I've heard Greg Hamilton say that the earlier pre-finger grip 17s are better than the new ones.

My newer Glocks 27,27 have been fine though.

I agree you can do better on price. A local dealer here, who is outragously high on their pricing, had the G17 refurb'd, with hi-caps, at $499.

Factory refurb w/ 2 hi cap mags for $379 three months ago. local dealer in seattle.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
If it can't shoot jacketed rat turds powered by mouse farts, I ain't gonna shoot it!

In my opinion I would go with the new Glock 17 (That is if it fits your hand good) and buy that, then go to any local gun shows and try to find some FACTORY Hi-Cap Mags. Just my opinion. :)

------------------
Trespassers Will Be Shot
Survivors Will Be Shot Again

The refurbished Glocks are good as new as far as funcitoning goes.. but they aren't usually as pretty. (not that Glocks are generally "pretty"...).

I say you should shop around for a refurbished 17 inthe $400 price range, they are out there.....

It depends on how important the high capacity mags are to you. If you can live with 10 round mags, buy the new 17. If you have to have high capacity mags (and there's nothing wrong with that), then go for a refurbished with FACTORY high capacity mags.

I am not a fan of aftermarket high capacity mags for the Glocks. As someone else mentioned, many of these are made of steel and not really good for the polymer mag catch. Although, Walther uses a steel mag with, I believe, a plastic mag catch. Ramline makes steel mags for the Glock that have nylon inserts to avoid damaging the catch. These have proven to be the most reliable in my experience. I currently have polymer mags made by Promag in addition to my factory Glock mags. So far, I've had some feeding problems with these when dropping the slide on the first round. It seems the Promags direct that first bullet at a little too upwards an angle, causing a misfeed. The mags are new, so hopefully once they are broken in, this will no longer be a problem.

Bottom line: factory mags work the best, not a single malfunction yet.

Tango

Personally, the only reason I bought Glocks was because of the magazine capacity. One of the best deals out there are the refurbs. I see them at gunshows for around $400.

Back