which general purpose revolver would you get?

bullfrog99

I'm debating between the 41 oz kgp-141(stainless gp-100 4" with adjustable sights) and the 40 oz Smith stainless 629 mountain gun(used). the pistol will be used for everything a pistol will be used for because less a rimfire understudy it will be my only pistol. I will need it for everything from CCW to hunting whitetails. bear defense isn't in the picture, and I think i could hide either on my 6'4 frame, but i'm not sure what i want. the indistructable ruger(trigger tuned and lighter springs) or the big bore smith. what do you think?

DOUBLE-EDGED NO-BRAINER

Correct choice(s): KGP-141 (or big-but-definitely-NOT-boring 44/45 5.5" Redhawk)

Not opinion; own two KGP's.

I personally think the ideal, all around wheelgun round is a .41mag. I am presently trying to find a S&W model 57 with a 4" tube to buy. Lots of 6"ers available but not a lot of 4's.

I feel the .41mag gives the best all around performance, whether for personal defense or for hunting those wascally whitetails. A better ballistic profile than the .357 and not as brutal for extended range days as a .44.

So, b4 you make a final decision, please take a look at the .41mag..you may be surprised.

bob

Greeting's All,

How about a pre-sellout Smith N' Wesson model 629-5
Classic w/ a 5" barrel? I have one that is top notch, in
every respect.:cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Given the choice between the GP100 and the 44 mag Mountain Gun, and given your requirement of deer hunting you should go with the 44. Not many people will say the 357 is acceptable for hunting, especially not in a 4" gun that you would want for CCW.

They're both fairly large for CCW, the round butt on the S&W will help conceal it with compact grips, the Ruger is slightly slimmer due to the smaller cylinder but at 6'4 you're not going to have a problem concealing either one.

Get the Ruger! You will find that your handgun chambered in 357 Magnum is the perfect defense tool. You will have 38spl and 357 Magnum abilities and the 4" barrel is ideal.

I have two Ruger KGP-141s; they are WONDERFUL revolvers.

A major advantage of quality .357 magnum/.38 Special revolvers (such as the Ruger GP-100 series or the Smith 627) is the almost endless variety of inexpensive and plentiful loads that are readily available. There are other excellent revolver rounds (such as the .41 magnum), but the ammunition options they provide are quite limited -- and costly -- when compared to the .357/.38.

One final comment regarding .357 magnum deer hunting with a four inch barrel (such as the KGP-141): Federal's solid lead CastCore, 180 grain .357 magnum load offers 1250 FPS muzzle velocity and 625 pounds muzzle energy (from a four in tube). This is more than adequate for deer hunting.

From the choices you mention, I would take the GP100.

As for deer hunting with the .357 (4 inch)....... with proper shot placement, and the DISCIPLINE it takes to wait for that shot, a 4 inch .357 with the right load, will do just fine.

I have used one succesfully several times, and I have passed on many shots, but not too many I would have taken with a .44 either.

Is a .41 or a .44 better? SURE! But NOT as a replacement for shot placement AND discipline.......

Last edited:
For a true all around gun, it's hard to beat the .44 for the cartridge and the Ruger for the gun.

While I am a big fan of the .44, frankly a half a box of full loads is all I can handle from the Mountain Gun. I have shot an IDPA match with it and it worked fine. However, that Ruger can be fed for cheap, kill anything you need to and (IMHO) is a much stouter gun.

If the GP-100 series were in .44 Mag, there would be a line at most gunstores. :)

4" Taurus Titanium in .41 mag. Big bore, lightweight, yet packing the punch of the .41 magnum. The big advantages are it's considerably lighter than anything mentioned above (~30 oz), it's smaller than the big N frame Smiths, and is .41 caliber. One disadvantage is it's a 5 shooter.

Back