Which furnace ?

Jump boot

Now lets just say that if a man were to take up the great hobby of casting his own round balls and never haveing done it before and doesn't know squat,what furnace and other good things would he need to buy? Mainly for 36 cal., .380 round balls.

The little Lee pots work very well and are very economical. The worst thing I can say about the Lee pots is that the 10 pounder is a drip-o-matic. Not a big deal for me as I just place an ingot mould beneath it to catch the drips.

I also use a Lee 20 pounder pot. I like the higher capacity pots because it melts more lead, keeps the heat and I cast 535 grain minie balls or .62 caliber round balls. It wasn't terribly expensive and all I wanted was something to melt lead with. Besides, my lead doesn't know if it's a $40 melter or a $400 melter.

I like the Lee pot and use one for my pure lead casting but the best pot I've found is the WAAGE pot. It can handle 20 lbs, heats up faster, maintains heat temperature better. They have a couple of pots to choose from at WAAGE.Com/Soldpot.html

Thank you for your reply. I am heading to a shop tomarrow.I called and they have the Lee pots and other stuff that I may need.I won't get to crazy on spending,but we'll see how that goes.

Back